Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: lampooning amateur radio  (Read 966 times)
W3DBB

Ignore
« on: November 19, 2009, 05:35:54 AM »

CHARLIEBAKER is a (comedic) genius. I laugh so hard it feels like a heart attack. Interesting how a few in this forum address him as if he is really that shallow. This guy could have a monthly column in one of the two remaining amateur magazines if their managements weren't so stodgy and humorless. At least it comes across that way in the finished product. As it is the "Misc" forum of eHam is my favorite because of CHARLIEBAKER's contributions. What he writes is true. How would CHARLIEBAKER conclude? Oh yeah- lol!!!!!!
K9FON

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 03:31:11 PM »

Dont you know humor is not allowed in ham radio? Didnt they tell you that when you took your test?
This is a serious hobby. Leave your sense of humor at the door. J/K!
He is pretty funny but he gets old after a while.
AE5JU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 07:50:50 AM »

I don't think some of the responders to CharlieBaker's posts realize they're chain is being yanked, leg is being pulled, etc.

"Lighten up, Francis!"

Now the question is, who is CharlieBaker really?

Paul
AE5JU
W3DBB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 09:43:27 AM »

I think WB5JEO nailed it in Charlie's "big fight last nite!!!!" thread:

"He's really not a troll. A genuine troll is subtle enough that he's taken to be serious and crafts his posts to set off a fight, like the guy who starts a bar fight and is seen crawling away from the fringes as the chairs begin to fly. But Charles sometimes does an okay charicature of a CBer and occasionally manages to induce some posters to reveal their own uncomfortable similarities to the CBer character. He can't always produce gold, but then, who can? It amuses him, and it harms no one who does need harming."
N6PJB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 05:49:44 PM »

I enjoy charliebaker and the responses he provokes. This is a chance to laugh at ourselves.
TANAKASAN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 04:27:15 AM »

If we can't laugh at ourselves others will laugh at us.

Tanakasan
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 08:43:20 AM »

CB is not lampooning amateur radio, he is lampooning CB'ers. And the bent here is to make fun of less intelligent, less educated, blue collar, ignorant southern males.

Can this be considered prejudice in the vein of the "Itchy and Scratchy" humor column that ran in CQ magazine for years?
K9FON

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2009, 09:11:19 AM »

The thing is most hams dont like to be made fun of or have thier precious ham radio hobby made fun of. Make fun of a hams mother, wife, kids, car, or whatever but man, make fun of the hobby and its defensive time!! :-)
K5END

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2009, 09:43:08 AM »

>"CB is not lampooning amateur radio, he is lampooning CB'ers."

ding ding ding ding ding ding ding!

Correct!

"I'll take subtle, clever humor disguised as stupidity for $800, Alex."
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2009, 04:08:54 PM »

Unfortunately, his prose is difficult to wade through.  Many times, I just bog down, half way through the moreass.

Bob
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2009, 04:11:48 PM »

We can attempt to determine whether this is prejudice or not by the way in which these folks became CBers. Nature or nuture? If by nature - that is, they were born CBers - it would seem to be prejudice at work in making fun of them. If by nurture - hanging out with the wrong crowd, having an uncle who was a CBer or a trucker CBer - they had or still have a choice in the matter and can be faulted for their antics.

Some of these poor fellows were born to be CBers. As babies they sat in their cribs babbling into any toy that remotely resembled a microphone. Talking loudly over other children is but a precurser to humping a kW carrier on another CBer. These unfortunate creatures are to be pitied and not parodied. They need help.

A form of Voodoo can be employed. It consists of sticking pins into their coax cables while snickering.
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2009, 04:13:56 PM »

Unfortunately, his prose is difficult to wade through.  Many times, I just bog down, half way through the moreass.

Bob
KI4VEO

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2009, 08:00:28 PM »

beep de beep
W3DBB

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2009, 08:12:04 PM »

VE9AAE in CHARLIEBAKER's thread "why do some HAMS poormouth cbers???":

"By the way, I personally think that Charlie Baker is more intelligent than many give him credit for. The consistency of his spelling 'errors' and the fact that he essentially types in 'slang' (so to speak) makes me wonder if he (or she) is using stereotypes to highlight a few problems which DO exist in both the CB and ham radio communities."

Exactly.
K9FON

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2009, 01:09:21 PM »

WX7G. You reply as spot on.
So i guess some of us hams started out by tearing our toys apart to see how they worked and we just had an inate curiousity of how things worked. I know i did! hehe
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: