The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TX problem with Icom IC2100H  (Read 641 times)
KC8MWG

Ignore
« on: May 31, 2015, 02:25:02 PM »

I have been keeping my Icom IC2100H (which I bought new at the Dayton Hamvention around 1998 or 1999) in my car for emergencies, but I haven't used it in years - I'm ashamed to say I haven't been a very active ham since shortly before my divorce in 2008, although I've kept my license up to date. However, I recently resolved to be more active, and got the Icom out hoping to raise someone on one of the local repeaters. Checked my tone, checked my offset, keyed up - and the transceiver stuck on transmit. I had to unplug the mic in order for it to "key down" again. Tried opening up the mic to clean the switch - unfortunately, not much to clean there, though I tried to get some alcohol into the switch and worked it, and cleaned the mic cable connectors at both ends. Still no luck. I ended up putting my ancient but reliable Pace Communicator II (with an added PLL tone box) into my car, and that is working fine despite having not been used for a similar length of time. ANy idea what might be going on with my radio? Do I maybe need to get a new microphone?
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 02:30:52 PM »

Well, you didn't mention what the antenna was, but I have to assume it was a mobile one??? A loose connection in the coax feed line, or a bad antenna attachment (lip mount?), can cause an inordinate amount of common mode current to be present. If there is, it could easily cause the issue. Why don't you try replacing the antenna with a dummy load?

KC8MWG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 03:55:04 PM »

One small problem - I don't have a dummy load... One of those "round tooits" I never got around to buying. I always used one I had borrowed from my elmer, but I haven't seen him in years. Tongue The connector was screwed into the back of the radio reasonably snugly, though.

My antenna is a 1/2 wave mag-mount. Can't remember the exact brand - it's one Radio Shack used to carry back when they still had a FEW ham related items left in stock and they hadn't turned into "Cell Phones 'R' Us" yet...
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 06:47:10 AM »

Well, I just don't like mag mounts, and this is one of the reasons I don't!

Beg, borrow, steal, or buy a dummy load, and use a known-good coax jumper. This will eliminate the transceiver as the problem. If the transceiver is good into the dummy load, guess what?

KC8MWG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 04:14:57 PM »

As I said, though, my "outdated" Pace Communicator II has absolutely NO problem with the antenna, or with transmitting/receiving. The mic is a simple Motorola like you'd find on a Motrac or Mocom. I am wondering if the Icom has a microphone problem, because as soon as I unplug the mic it stop transmitting until I hit the PTT again. I have read somewhere that Icom microphones tend to be problematic; I suppose sitting in my car all seasons unused for the past 7 years didn't help any.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 05:24:05 PM »

It isn't the Icom microphone!

If there is an unconnected ground, almost any amount of RF can cause the issue you're seeing. If you don't have the equipment you need to test out the transceiver, find an Elmer in your area to aid you in fixing the real issue.

KC8MWG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 06:02:12 PM »

What I really need to do is hook up with the SAARC and see if another member knows something about these radios and diagnosing problems. Meanwhile, at least I have the Pace so I am not completely out as far as 2m goes... Tongue
KA9CCH

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 06:51:57 PM »

I had the same "stuck in transmit" problem with my IC-208H.  Turned out to be caused by voltage drop.  R&R'd and cleaned all the power connections and no more problem.  Cheap fix.

73 & GL

KA9CCH
Levert
N9BH

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Today at 04:36:11 AM »

I had the voltage drop problem too. 
Worked fine on low power.
On high power the display would dim a bit and rig get stuck in transmit.

WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Today at 11:59:16 AM »

I've also had the low-voltage problem with at least two different Icom mobile rigs.

Check your power connection, especially any inline fuses and connector pins for corrosion.  If the
battery voltage drops too much in the power cable it causes the rig to stick in TX mode.  This is
a particular problem when trying to run from a cigarette lighter plug due to the multiple voltage
drops in the circuit.

In one car the rig would always lock up at high power, but was OK at medium power (25W) when
the engine was running.  Low power was never a problem because the current was much lower.

In one case my wife turned off the car while signing off, the rig stuck in TX due to the lower
input voltage, and I got to go on a transmitter hunt to find where she had parked it while it
hung up the local repeater.

So the first thing to check is whether you still have the problem when transmitting at
low power.  That should at least give you a work-around for local repeaters while you figure
out how to improve your power connection.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: