The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question alpha Moto antenna  (Read 7133 times)
KA4NMA

Ignore
« on: May 07, 2016, 09:27:34 AM »

Does anybody know what is in the block box on this antenna?  Balun? How could I hombrew one?  https://amateurradiostore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=292

Randy
G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2016, 10:07:49 AM »

Seems too good to be true.

73 de Tony
Windows 10:  Making mild people profane since 2015
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 01:08:23 PM »

Both of you nailed it.

N8EMR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2016, 06:33:08 AM »

Wells only good on 10,15,20m and needs a tuner so  I am sure it will radiate. They mention military antenna. Military has never been known for high gain, just functional. I am sure it will rediate and for $150 might be usable but there are many other options and cheaper ones at that.
KA4NMA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 08:52:45 AM »

What ratio balun?
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 11:51:16 AM »

What ratio balun?
Don't worry about it.  The antenna will be lossy enough to have a quite flat SWR. Wink
KC1ELZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2016, 01:49:47 PM »

For detailed description of my decision to use the Alpha MOTO, may I refer you to my review that I just posted about the Alpha MOTO mobile/multiband HF/6 antenna. I suggest that you check my QRZ & LOTW logs to confirm my QSOs and QSLs, including my SSB calls from CT to CA, PA, IA, FL, MS, SC, Bulgaria, Crete, Czech Republic, & Italy. But don't forget to compare how I designed and built my system versus the abbreviated build processes that some folks use. My QRZ bio/profile page has link to my YouTube mobile build series videos. I did a LOT of design and prep work, plus grounding and bonding, before mounting the Alpha MOTO on SS brackets, 2 feet inboard and OVER the body mass of my SUV, to improve ground plane. Let me know whether you think I hit my objectives by integrating the Alpha MOTO into my design. I'll let the results speak for themselves.

http://www.eham.net/reviews/review/142421

http://www.eham.net/reviews/verreview/10357

I have ZERO complaints, to date.
Craig
KC1ELZ

K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2016, 05:09:45 PM »

"Everything Works" -N6BT

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
ROB1955

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2016, 05:20:29 PM »

Does anybody know what is in the block box on this antenna?  Balun? How could I hombrew one? 

Randy

You'll find the answer to your question after watching the following video:

https://youtu.be/HlmirEALEdQ

- Rob
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Today at 01:18:09 AM »

N6BT, everything works including a light globe. I did try this and it does indeed work. It sure was a lousy antenna.

Every video on Youtube about the Alpha Moto Antenna shows station claiming what a great antenna it  is by demonstrating the short skip contacts they making. One hop QSO that are  all 5/9 plus.

The Alpha Moto is in the same class as the Maxcon and Other resistor terminated antennas. These also work. I have used commercial T2FD style communications antennas like the Codan, Barrett and B&W loaded antennas. They work too, however when I compared them to a good dipole they were clearly in the ESP/Dummy load category when trying to work DX.

I even have a highly efficient based loaded Codan 9350 which was compared to my bug catcher which was easily 6 to 12db better on almost any frequency.  This gain deficit is easily understood. A hamstick would be a better choice on most occasions.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: