The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FTM 100 DR Firmware Issue - Maybe  (Read 175 times)
W6OEM

Ignore
« on: Yesterday at 08:47:06 AM »

I purchased an FT-100 DR this weekend at a ham fest in Oregon.  Seller assured me it was working but it’s not.

When I powered it up I get the YAESU and WIRES-X display and that’s all.  The only things that work are:

The Power switch will change between LOCK and UNLOCK and it shows on the display.

The round right hand knob (frequency adjust) changes the display brightness and that’s all.

If I hold the DISP/SETUP button to enter the setup mode in order to select the master reset menu, the display goes black.  It looks like the radio is powered off, but when I press the Power button I get the Lock/Unlock key press tones.  If I press the Band switch, the display comes back on but it’s just the opening splash screen.

None of the other buttons do anything at all.

Is it possible that the previous, and untrustworthy, owner botched a firmware update?  Is it fixable or do I have a $225.00 helium balloon anchor (it's too small to be a boat anchor)?
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 10:31:06 AM »

For another $75, might be better off getting a new transceiver, with the 1 year warranty.

http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=71-002024
W6OEM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 10:48:20 AM »

You're absolutely right, I should have.  In fact, with gas, hotel, and meals it ended up costing me well over the 300.00 HRO and Gigga Parts are asking for a new one.  Sad lesson to be learned - your can't trust anyone anymore.

Thanks for the reply.  Yaesu is off today for the holiday.  I'll call tomorrow and see where I'm at.

Cliff
W6OEM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:51:27 AM »

The issue has been fixed.  The seller left the radio programmed before selling it, so it was in the WIRES-X mode, a mode I'm not familiar with since I've been off the air for several years due to CC&R's.  Holding down two specific buttons while turning the radio on cleared the issue and set it back to normal operations.  Own KG7OXU many apologies.
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Today at 07:20:17 AM »

The issue has been fixed.  The seller left the radio programmed before selling it, so it was in the WIRES-X mode, a mode I'm not familiar with since I've been off the air for several years due to CC&R's.  Holding down two specific buttons while turning the radio on cleared the issue and set it back to normal operations.  Own KG7OXU many apologies.

Good to hear that you got it going. I think that a factory reset is a good idea on a 'new' to you radio.
It's a fresh start, can manipulate the settings to your own individual preferences.

The used FM mobiles I've looked at didn't offer a significant cost savings over new.  The higher priced HF gear might offer a worthwhile savings.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: