The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Antenna for my 1984 Ford F-150/camper?  (Read 343 times)
WY0WDR

Ignore
« on: May 23, 2016, 07:03:14 PM »

I have an 857D on the way, and I'll need an antenna to run it on the truck. Here's the rub- I have a smaller slide in camper on it that overhangs the cab maybe 14" and is about 18" taller as well.
I need a "go down the road" antenna that will attach to the truck: I'll set up an inverted V or a longwire when I'm parked.
So my questions are:
What band(s) would be best to work (for a technician license holder) while driving,
and
What sort of antenna can I put on the truck for these bands?

Here's a pic of the truck- https://www.flickr.com/photos/wyowanderer/16117591336/in/dateposted-public/

Thanks folks.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 02:34:55 AM »

I have an 857D on the way, and I'll need an antenna to run it on the truck. Here's the rub- I have a smaller slide in camper on it that overhangs the cab maybe 14" and is about 18" taller as well.
I need a "go down the road" antenna that will attach to the truck: I'll set up an inverted V or a longwire when I'm parked.
So my questions are:
What band(s) would be best to work (for a technician license holder) while driving,
and
What sort of antenna can I put on the truck for these bands?

Here's a pic of the truck- https://www.flickr.com/photos/wyowanderer/16117591336/in/dateposted-public/

Thanks folks.
   You got bumpers?  Roll Eyes  How about a nice 9 foot whip cut down for 10 meters on a bumper mount?  Hamsticks could work as well!  I recommend a Larson for 2m/440 work.
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 06:25:44 AM »

The CB antenna you have mounted on front left fender should work well enough on 10 meters. It can be trimmed for a lower SWR.
K6JH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 05:05:17 PM »

The CB antenna you have mounted on front left fender should work well enough on 10 meters. It can be trimmed for a lower SWR.

Looks more like a dual band 2m/440 antenna to me, which is useful with an 857d. Maybe add a 10m antenna on the other side? Or a small screwdriver if you want multi-hf-bands while mobile (not as useful for a technician)?

Jim K6JH
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: