Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Convert motion of walking to electricity to charge batteries?  (Read 112 times)
KE2KB

Ignore
« on: Yesterday at 08:27:52 PM »

Hi;
I am planning to hike almost 800 miles of the Appalachian Trail next year. I will be taking my Yaesu FT-60R with me (in addition to cell phone and iPod), and am trying to come up with a novel way to recharge the batteries in the radio. While there are hand operated generators that may (or may not) charge the tiny batteries in cell phones and iPods, the AA batteries in my FT-60R will take a lot more electricity to charge.

If I could convert the motion of my walking to electricity, I could probably recharge a battery pack every few days. I am planning to hike a minimum of 10 miles per day.
I have read about solar chargers out there, but they are either very small and don't provide much power, or are large and bulky, besides being very expensive.
Besides that, I am planning to do the majority of my hiking during the day, so, unless I am going to spend a lot of time hanging out waiting for my batteries to charge, I don't think solar is going to work.

Of course there is the proven method of stopping in a motel where I will have plenty of electricity with which to recharge all of my batteries, but I expect my motel stays to be few and far between.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Frank - KE2KB

Edit: I have found several devices available or in development that can generate power by walking, but none of them appear to produce enough power to recharge six AA 2000mAh cells used in the FT-60R and other radios.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 08:48:23 PM by KE2KB » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: