Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Portable Operation  (Read 3220 times)
K6GC

Ignore
« on: June 29, 2000, 07:42:33 AM »

In many hotels/motels these days the windows do not open.  While it's possible to use a handi-talkie next to the window, those of us who wish to operate on HF have a bit tougher experience in these places.

I'd like to suggest a web page where hams can write in their travel experiences, so that others planning trips to those areas will know where to book (and not book) a room.

My most recent entries:

Yosemite/CA: Fish Camp just outside the southern entrance at Tenaya Lodge the windows open, not only that, the screens open too.  There are nice large desks with plenty of electrical outlets next to the window.  The building is four stories high - it's an ideal place to do portable.

Reno/NV: The ElDorado hotel has windows that don't open.  Not only that, it is of Steel & Concrete construction.  I couldn't hear a thing.

San Francisco/CA: Union Square.  I inquired at the St. Francis and several other hotels in this area, none of them have openable windows & they tell me it is against the law in San Francisco.  It seems people have dropped ashtrays out of windows in the past and the city has "elimated" this problem.

Very 73,

TR, WB6TMY/6
(Have Rig, Will Travel)
K6GC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2000, 10:18:54 AM »

The Embassy Suites, just south of the San Francisco Airport (in San Mateo) offers balconies 9 stories high.  The sliding glass doors & screens offer access to the outside.  It is an easy matter to vice-grip onto the iron railing of the balcony & at 9 stories up, it offers excellent signals.

Very 73,

TR
WB6TMY@arrl.net
KB8VWV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2000, 12:54:47 PM »

I also would be very interested in how other ham/road warriors are operating from motels.  I have a 706 and a Scout that I drag along but would like to get even more portable so am building a Wilderness Radio SST and have my eye on the Yaesu 817.  Since the operation is only going to be as good as its antenna, I am very curious about other creative ideas beyond my lightweight dipole.

Thanks in advance.
K6GC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2000, 01:52:42 PM »

Dear KB8VWV,

I predict you will have fun with that 706!  Like my Ten-Tec Delta I it is highly portable.  I use a Ham-Stick and a Vice-Grip that I bought at a CB shop with a mount welded to it ($20)

Just returned from Eugene/OR and I stayed at the Hilton downtown at 66 - 6th Avenue.  It was a little "pricey" at $95 a night, but Oh-What-A-Balcony!  I was on the 9th floor and full access to the iron railing with GREAT operating.  I also got a great breakfast the next morning for free ($7) and a beautiful room.

Thanks for replying to my thread, I guess very few of us operate portable these days.

Very 73,

"TR" WB6TMY@arrl.net
VE7SML

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2001, 05:13:08 AM »

I am interested on how you made out with using your 706 in portable operation especially motel/hotel rooms. I can't seem to find an antenna that will work without getting alot of RF feedback. What sort of antennas have you found that work well with the 706 when there isn't good grounding and the elevation may be very low.Thanks.Mike.
KB2WIG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2001, 07:37:54 PM »

Anyone try to bring the controll head inside the room and leave the vehicle/ transmitter outside... I've done this camping with a tent. The 706m2 attracts too many bugs at night..... kevin
KB8VWV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2001, 06:42:54 PM »

I have just constructed a DCTL Antenna that I found at http:/home.earthlink.net/~mwattcpa/antennas.html.   This twin lead loop seems to have considerable gain over the dipole that I have been using.  Seems to be quieter also.  Works thumbtacked to the corners of the motel room and like I said quieter than the dipole with better signal reports.

The article says the antenna was in CQ & 73 in mid to Late 1994 called a Distributed Capacitance Twisted Loop.

Good Luck!  I'm pleased.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: