Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best Mobile for a HT?  (Read 1410 times)
KG4LJF

Ignore
« on: January 26, 2001, 12:45:12 PM »

I'm a new ham. In your opinion, what's the best magnet mount mobile antenna for use with a HT? Thanks in advance.- KG4LGF
KG4LJF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2001, 12:47:14 PM »

Oops. forgot to mention it's a 2-meter HT. Thanks!
KB3CDF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2001, 02:23:35 PM »

Larsen NMO-150/MM.  Best value for the money (TX/RX) IMHO. 5/8 wave. Lower propagation angle.  Excellent durability.

KB3CDF
John
73's
KA9ZIM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2001, 09:05:24 AM »

If you are using the HT without an amp a 5/8 wave antenna is must.  I use the Larsen NMO magnet mount with Larsen NMO mount antennas.  I find this to be the most versatile for me.

A high central location is the best, but the trunk is not bad either. Try to keep the antenna centered (left to right) for an even radiation pattern.

Good luck!
KV4BL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2001, 12:03:22 AM »

My intention is not to dispute the word of the other hams who have posted here, as I see no fault with their reccomendations, however, if looking at your question from a slightly different perspective, perhaps a different answer might be in order.  If you move your portable / mobile setup from vehicle to vehicle on a regular basis, I would consider a Hustler/Newtronics Model UGM quarter wave magnet mount.  These are nifty little antennas which are convenient to use and perform very well.  Although they use RG-174 type mini cable, which has a reputation for being lossy, The ones I have used have always performed very well.  I think they are rated at 25W or so but for what it's worth, I have run them in conjunction with an Icom 2100H at high power (47W out as measured) and the SWR was 1.5 or less across the entire 2 meter band and there was no heating of the coax or other undesireable behavior.  If your mount is for one vehicle,then the 5/8 wave antennas are definitely the only way to fly.  If you just want something to get your signal out of your vehicle and on top of it, the UGM might be the ticket.                 Ray
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: