Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help requested Ford Explorer HF/VHF antenna mounti  (Read 2164 times)
K1BRF

Ignore
« on: July 29, 2000, 04:08:57 PM »

Any suggestions, recommendations, experiences  or "whatever you do don't do that..." on mounting antennas to the Ford Explorer.

VHF: Where can you roof mount a VHF since the sun roof in the open position seems to take up most of the room. Best place to punch a hole? Do not want to glass mount or use a magnet.

HF: Since the bumper is fiberglass and there is no space between the hatch back and the body any suggestions on where/how to mount an HF?  Want to start high enough to get height and not fry the occupants.

Any comments gratefully accepted.
KE2VN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2000, 12:11:35 PM »

I don't know how much help this will be for you, but I have a Jeep Cherokee that I operate 40, 20, 15, 10, 6, 2, 70cm from, and I have found a lot of success using the SUV/hatch lip mounts that are made by Comet--like the RS730.  I use the cable assembly that has the really small coax at the end(CK3M5?) or Diamond C101 (I think), and have had no issues with water leaks in a solid year of operating mobile.  I mounted my antenna most of the way down the side of the rear hatch, so it sticks up about three/four feet above the car roof--this compromise lets the xyl use the trunk with no problem, and lets me get into the garage too.

I did sand away some of the paint where the mount connects to the hatch (on the inside of the lip, where the screws bite into the hatch, not on the outside where someone could see) and bonded the hatch to the car body with rg-8 coax shield in an out-of-the-way place near the hinge.  I don't have any issues with high swr or rf, and I get good signal reports.

I understand that there is a pretty annoying issue with computer-generated noise coming from the main computer on the Explorer, which is near the front passenger seat.  Other than that, I dont' know much about mounting HF rigs in them.

Good luck!

73 de KE2VN
KD5M

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2000, 09:10:22 PM »

I have a1994 Explorer Limited that I use for both HF and VHF.  My VHF antenna is a  Larsen glass mounted antenna that has worked well mounted on the drivers side rear cargo window.  My HF antenna is a High Sierra screwdriver antenna mounted on a mount I had a garage make for me that slips into the trailer towing hitch.  I initially mounted the antenna using High Sierra's fold-over mount in the trailer hitch (where you would put the towing ball in the center) but it was difficult to open and close the hatch door.  So, I had my garage (friend - happens to be a ham) make me a mount that slips into either side of the hitch that is mounted to the frame ( U-Haul shops sell extension square channel that fits into the side or rear boxes).  He welded the adaptor for me and I put the High Sierra mount onto that.  I have used it both on the driver and passenger sides.  It is out in the wind stream.  I can see the screwdriver in the side mirrors and screw it up or down to change bands (I put marking tape at reonant points).  It works great - it is stable at interstate speeds - and I can open/use the rear hatch without any problems.

I am still struggling with the ignition/computer/fuel noise problem - Elsewhere on this site (eHam) is a writeup about putting ferrites on the leads coming out of the computer that I intend to try.  Ford's filter kit (that goes into the gas tank) did not help (I had my friend pull the tank to verify that the Ford dealer had indeed installed the kit).  My mount works well and I will take it with me when I trade this Explorer in!

I hope this makes sense and helps you.

Good luck and 73, Edd - KD5M
WA4CNG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2000, 11:25:57 PM »

I have a Company owned 1998 Explorer.  I have installed a  VHF/UHF dual band antenna with a drilled thru roof mount.  HF antenna mount is a 3XMag mount on top of roof left rear roof above the rear window/hatch opening using Ham-Sticks 1 per band with quick-disconnects.  Rig is YASEU FT-100 feeding VHF/UHF antenna and feeding Ameritron ALS-500 HF amplifier on 80-10 meters in the rear bay of the Explorer.
See HF Noise Abatement article at E-HAM.COM for more info.
K4JDR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2000, 10:39:31 PM »

I have put VHF/UHF antennas on a year 1993 and a  2000 Ford Explorer, 4 door with sunroof you can put a 3/4 in. hole in the roof above the center interior light and come down the side with the feedline to the door threshold.  I use Teflex low loss double shielded coax made by antennex with a NMO mount.  My dual band antenna of choice is the Maxrad 1440 without the spring. I have a Kenwood TMV 7A in my year 2000 and place the tranceiver under the left passenger seat without problems dropping the seat down. The next option would be a L- bracket on the left front fender. As far as HF I have also seen the new Yaesu HF antenna installed on a Explorer and Blazer with a rear corner bracket made of metal tubing to the chassis, this was probably the best and neatest install I have ever seen.  If you are interested I may be able to obtain a picture to send you.   Hope this little bit helps.  RJCasey
KA2QFX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2001, 12:25:18 PM »

You might gather an idea or two for HF from my installation on my Jeep Cherokee. You can check it out on my web site. http://www.bridgeport.edu/~msedutto

Mark
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: