Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does RF Emission and Glass Sun Roof = Baldness  (Read 981 times)
KG6FGX

Ignore
« on: March 06, 2001, 09:50:37 PM »

I'm concerned about RF radiation exposure.  I want to install a 50w 2m/440 mobile in my Toyota X-Cab pickup.  The pickup has a glass sunroof.  I intend to install the antenna in the center of the roof 6 inches behind the rear of the sunroof.  While seated, my head and the passengers head is centered below the sunroof, approximately 12 inches in front of and 3 inches below the base of the antenna.  Should I be concerned about RF exposure?  Will window tinting help?  

There is a plastic sunscreen that can be clipped in place, would adding a metal foil to the top side of the sunscreen help.  Would it be necessary to ground the metal foil the the chassis.

Thanks for any advice,
Jim
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2001, 02:21:54 PM »

Assuming you're serious, there should be no problem at all with the installation you describe, nor any need to modify the car or its sunroof.  A vertical whip antenna fed at its base has a radiation angle that is above the horizon and radiates almost no energy at all below its mounting surface.  We could go through the mathematical formulae to determine exactly what happens, but having done this many times before, trust me: The downwards radiation from a 50W output transmitter in such an installation will be well below the safe radiation limit per the recent FCC directives and should pose no threat at all.

Steve WB2WIK/6
KG6FGX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2001, 07:00:57 PM »

Thanks Steve,
I feel much more comfortable with the proposed location of the antenna installation.  Every strand of hair counts! Smiley

Jim KG6FGX
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: