Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Routing Coax Out Of S10 Ext Cab Pick Up  (Read 900 times)
K9EWT

Ignore
« on: February 05, 2001, 11:48:29 AM »

Would like comments from those who have installed an hf mobile in an S10 pickup regarding getting the coax cable out of the cab.

Dick
W3JAF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2001, 08:49:00 AM »

I ran the coax up though the rear (third) break light for a 11 meter antenna on my ext. cab.  Just took my time and used a little silicone.  It has been that way for 5 years now without any problems.  I just leave the mag mount in place and twist off the antenna (K40).  I guess it depends were you want to put it.  But, for getting it on the roof thats the route I choose.  If you need a stonger mount for HF then you'll probally want to mount it on the bed somewhere that makes running the feed line easier.  I have a glass mount for 2M.  Good Luck.
N3DRB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2001, 08:28:14 PM »

I just put in a rg142 run into my new S-10. (1998) I drilled a 1/4" hole in the very back passenger side floor from the floor up and put in a grommet that snugs up quite well to the outside diameter of the coax.  Ran my line then soldered the connector on.  I drilled two 5/8" holes in the bed side rails about 16" back from the cab.  Using two HDA-1 Workmen mounts.  Looks good, works good, one on each side.  

Also, just under the passenger side top floor near the plastic on the dash there is a huge rubber grommet used to feed the  am/fm radio antenna thru.  It is a hole you can feed 5 lines of 8 guage wire thru. You could use that as well for ants up front.  

Tim
KL7IPV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2001, 12:49:10 AM »

I have installed mobiles in three pickup trucks. The trucks had sliding split rear windows. I held the windows together and then drilled a hole just big enough for the coax to go thru. I opened the window and put the coax in the hole and shut the window. Never leaked and always worked. My Dodge pickup had four antenna holes and never leaked. I spaced the holes about 1/8" apart vertically. It also allowed me to use the window when I wanted and when I removed the antennas, the holes were almost unnoticeable. If you need to replace the windows, you only need to replace the sliders. I must add, I used RG-58 or RG-58U or Mini 8X. I don't think I would use anything larger.
Frank
KL7IPV
AF4YA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2001, 08:56:56 PM »

I have a 00 S10 Extended Cab. I found a rubber boot that goes up through the floor just underneath the driver's feet area (about 6" in front of the seat mounts).  I made a slit in it and it was a big enough boot to a PL-259 connector through. Then I just sealed around it with some silicon. Alot easier than drilling.

Hope this helps,
73s
Nick Mullins
AF4YA
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: