Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mobile Radio Mounts  (Read 2645 times)
WD9FMB

Ignore
« on: January 27, 2001, 06:15:51 PM »

I have purchased a used Kenwood TS-50 and the AT-50 for mobile operations.  I am wondering what types of mobile mounts are available.  This radio did not come with the Kenwood mount.  Any suggestions or web sites would be helpful.  Would like to mount it on the transmission hump.....and see both the radio and the tuner at the same time.  Plan B would be to custom mount out of wood.

Thanks,

Fritz
WD9FMB
K3UOD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2001, 04:05:09 PM »

I bought a nice hump mount from Radio Shack.  Just mount the radio on it and set it in place.  I don't see it in their new catalog; but you may see one at a hamfest.   Or, you may find one at an older RS. You could build one from sheet metal and hinges.  Make a template out of cardboard first.  Once you have cardboard pieces that fit, trace the shapes on to sheet metal.

I Generally just buy some 3/4 in aluminum flat stock from the local hardware store and bend it into a "U" that fits the width of the radio.  Then I try to find existing screws under the dash and drill holes in the "U" bracket to match the existing screws.  You may have to use longer screws, but I've found that the existing screws are usually long enough.

I've seen some nice installations made of wood; so, if you're good at woodworking, knock yourself out.
W2NJS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2001, 04:42:22 PM »

Fritz: First, see if Kenwood still makes an appropriate mobile mount for your radio.  At Radio Shack they used to carry a plastic bag full of several mobile radio mounting brackets, like two of each type, which was great for doing it yourself. Also, you will probably want to find out what size thread is used on the sides of the radio for the mounting bolts (probably 3, 4, or 5 mm) and get a few at a big hardware store to insure security when you do the installation.

Tom, W2NJS, in D.C.
KG8TT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2001, 11:43:50 AM »

Fritz

Check out http://www5.interaccess.com/iixeqpt
A great site for mobile mounting solutions.

Brian
KL7IPV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2001, 04:04:01 PM »

I have made radio mobile mounts for my last three vehicles using schedule 40 PVC. I just place them on the vehicle floor and secure them to something under or around the seat area. It cuts easily, can be sized how ever you wish and is easy to work with. I have used it to make mobile mounts for two pickup trucks and a Dodge minivan.  Just cut to fit amd then attach the radio in a way that suits you. I used large rubber bands like they use on RC model airplane wings to hold the radio to the mounts. I used small eye screws in the PVC to keep the radios from slipping down the sloping mount. PVC is very light but stong when joined using the glue for PVC pipe. I used the 3/4" size. For a lighter radio, 1/2" should be okay. I think it has cost me about $5 or so each time I made one. Experiment, you get just what you want. Good luck. Have fun.
Frank
KL7IPV  
KD5OAU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2001, 02:29:34 PM »

You can find lots of radio mounts at galls.com they supply alot of fire and police departments with some nice radio brackets
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: