Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu FL-101/FR-101 Cables  (Read 2091 times)
KG4KLR

Ignore
« on: October 30, 2001, 03:35:22 PM »

I have recently acquired the "Yaesu Twins", an FL-101 and FR-101, but have none of the connecting cables.  Althought it is possible to make them myself, I'm not very adept with a soldering iron, plus I'd like to keep the radios as "original" as possible.  I called Yaesu, but they not only don't sell the cables any more (not a big surprise), but they have no suggestions where to look.  Does anyone have an idea where I might find them?  They are specifically a 5p plug to an 8p plug, and an RCA plug to an 11p plug.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Please e-mail me at kg4klr@arrl.net
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2001, 02:16:11 AM »

Contact the service department of your local amateur radio dealer (such as AES, HRO, Texas Towers, Associated).  Ask the service department head if they have a set or could make up a set for you.

These service departments regularly purchase and sell used gear and deal with these issues on a regular basis.  Support these guys or loose them.

G. Beat
w9gb
W7ITC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2002, 11:03:55 PM »

I have this pair, and the cables are a royal pain.
The 11 pin plug can be found at hamfeasts or as has
be pointed out at a well established service centers
like Burghardt.  The 5 pin plug for the FR-101 is going
to be a problem unless somebody like Burghardt has some. If you can't come up with the five pin, you could do is change the plug
out for a jones plug they are easy to get from the
above scources, Good luck. I hope the 6JS6C finals
are in good shape those babies are getting very hard
to find and getting very expensive.

Once you get the pair running don't use the sync process the manual calls for.  The method to use is called the Drake Canary from it's sound, this was the method of tuning Drake Twins. set the two units for transceive let them warm up for about a half an hour. Key the transmitter mic and hold (turn the RF gain down on the FR) it next to the speaker it will do a chirp-chirp-cirp move the sync control until you have a steady tone the two vfo's are now sync'ed.  expect to repeat this every half hour or so depending how well the temp' compensation controls are set in the VFO's.  If you warn people on the air who know about the Yaesu Twins they will let you know when your transmitter is drifting off.

Ken
OE3SBN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2005, 11:40:35 AM »

I am presently preparing a set of cables for these two units. 8 and 11 pin octal plugs are readily avaliable from <www.radiodaze.com>. Then 5-pin plug seems to be rarer as an honest politician, so I will shortly be replacing it with a 5-pin DIN socket in the FR-101.
Regards,
Steve
KB3MRU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2007, 01:08:13 PM »

You might check eBay, I see them on there frequently.

Mark
KB2ZBM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 09:10:27 AM »

Hello seem your reply to the posting about the fr/fl 101 cables. can you tell me if the transmitter will work without the jumper cables. it powers up and everything looks good but i have no filament or B+ to the 6jb6's. thanks
KE7GUY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 02:13:37 PM »

You need the 11 pin accessory plug installed.  If you don't have one, you can jumper pins 1 and 2.  This will allow the filaments to get the required voltage.  Without it you have no filament voltage.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: