Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trunk lip mounts?  (Read 679 times)
KG4KJH

Ignore
« on: December 06, 2000, 03:52:46 PM »

I've been using a magmount antenna on the roof but have been considering getting a trunk lip mount for a little more permanent installation.

Can anyone comment on how well these work and what I should watch out for with them?

Thanks!
N2HBX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2000, 11:14:47 PM »

Hello,

I have utilized trunk lip mounts for commercial and amateur installations for some time with good success (I am a field service tech with the local Motorola radio shop).

The first thing to check is that your trunk lid is actually metal!  Many body panels on newer vehicles are made of a composite, nonmetallic material.  I had a Ford Aerostar service van that had back doors and hood made of composites.  If you don't check and you tighten down a lip mount, you can actually crack the panel!  Assuming you have a metallic deck lid, check to make sure that you have good continuity between the lid and the vehicle chassis.  Take your ohmmeter and look for a low resistance.  If it seems a little high, a piece of cable braid between the hinge bolt on the lid and the inside of the trunk should solve the problem.

The next consideration is the mount itself.  DON'T SKIMP!  A good mount is not cheap, but will provide a solid mount for your antenna and protect the vehicle as well.  The better mounts have some type of pad (usually rubber) to protect the vehicle finish from direct metal to metal contact.  Comet and Diamond both  make excellent mounts, but shop carefully.  Some of their mounts are meant specifically for their brand antennas (which are excellent, too, by the way).  If you are using an antenna that requires what is called a "Motorola" mount, or "NMO" mount, I recommend a unit produced by Maxrad.  Check your local two-way radio shop for this mount.

I recommend removing the mount about twice a year and cleaning the finish under the mount and applying wax for protection.  Look underneath and make sure the set screw connections are not rusted.  Clean the set screw contact points on the underside of the trunk lid and the tips of the set screws if required.

Hope this provides you with some needed information!

73, Larry, N2HBX
K8YS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2001, 05:13:50 PM »

Diamond K-400, any flavor... I have one, I also have the Comet version too. The Diamond is robust and has yet to rust (unlike the Comet version).
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: