Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Saturn 2m/70cm antenna  (Read 1673 times)
N1NYS

Ignore
« on: May 03, 2001, 09:30:18 PM »

I'm hoping someone can make a recommendation on an antenna for my Saturn wagon. The only metal body part is the hood, so mag mounts are out. I am getting my first mobile rig (Kenwood TM-D700A) to use APRS, so a dual bander would be best. I am considering a Larsen glass mount, but was wondering if someone has a better idea,
Thanks,
      Rich (N1NYS)
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2001, 02:37:48 PM »

The glass mount antennas work, but obviously are a compromise.  I haven't repeated this test recently, but about 14 years ago, I ran some empirical data on a Larsen through-glass 1/2-wave 146 MHz vs. the Larsen 5/8-wave NMO-mount whip mounted in the center of the roof of the same vehicle (my Volvo station wagon).

Although results varied with takeoff angle, I tried to use only very far over-the-horizon and fairly weak but steady signal sources from distant repeaters when running these tests.  On average, the 5/8-wave through-the-roof mounted whip outperformed the 1/2-wave glass-mount whip by about 10 dB -- which, on strong signals, is obviously no difference at all; but on weak signals, it's the difference between solid contact and zero contact.

I published the complete set of test data, graphically, with photographs of the setup in CQ Magazine's "VHF" section, back around 1986. I don't think the current glass-mount, or roof-mount antennas have really changed since then...the technology certainly hasn't.

If the Saturn's roof is molded resin of some sort, as I think it is, you can still mount an antenna there -- in lieu of a mag-mount, you'd need a "permanent" (through hole) mount (which work better than mag mounts, and cause far less scratching and damage to the car finish), with some 1/4-wave radials glued to the interior of the roof, between the roof and the headliner.  I've done this on Corvettes (fibreglas) with great results.  When I'm done, you can't tell any radials are there, and the results are incredible compared with anything else you can use on a 'Vette.

73 de Steve WB2WIK/6
WD0GSQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2001, 04:35:05 PM »

Comet and Diamond both make several models of 2m/70cm antennas that don't need a ground plane. Have used one made by Comet on a fibergass cab truck with good results.
KB9RPD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2001, 12:10:16 PM »

Hmmm What year saturn and model do you have?

I have a 97 SW1 and the roof is metal.  I have mag-mount 2M 5/8ths on my saturn and works great.

73, Ted
N1NYS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2001, 07:56:33 AM »

Thanks to all who responded. I thought about it and looked at the various options and I went for the Larsen glass mount. I'll rate it later. FYI, I went out this AM to double check the roof. Yup it's polymer. I have a '94 SW2. Of course no rust after 140,000 miles too.
Thanks again,
Rich
WB0DMA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2001, 01:54:32 PM »

I also have a Saturn.  What is the best path to the battery?  I have not found one.  Thanks, Tim
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: