Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spotting: 2M or 2M/70cm  (Read 784 times)
BRADYCREEL

Ignore
« on: November 22, 2000, 11:22:58 PM »

I am about to buy a mobile rig (currently have only a dual-band HT) ... I got into amateur radio to become a storm spotter, and I need to know if it is necessary to have a dual-band rig for spotting?  I know it would be a wiser investment, but the dualbanders seem to be twice as much.  Does anyone know of spotter networks that use 70cm?  

I am looking specifically at the IC-2100H radio.  It seems to be a great deal and was reviewed favorably on this site.  Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help, and Happy Thanksgiving.

Thanks,
Brady Creel
KD5LAE
KG4GAV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2000, 01:22:52 AM »

I also am involved in emergency management/Skywarn as a ham.  The use of 440 depends on the area you live in.  Most spotter networks that I know of use 2 meters because there are more repeaters out there for 2 meters.  we have several 2 meter repeaters and 2 440 back up/link repeaters.  I have used the Icom you referenced and it is a great radio.  I would suggest 1 of 2 things.  1) check with your spotter/ARES/NWS  group and see what they recommend/use, or 2) get the 2 meter mobile and keep the HT close by in case you do need 440. this will allow you to monitor 2 bands or 2 freqs on the same band at once.  

Good Luck!
WF0H

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2000, 05:42:43 PM »

Brady, from your callsign, I am going to guess that you live somewhere in the southern midwest. I think unless you live pretty close to a major city, you are unlikely to find much 70 cm FM activity.  I have heard 70cm used on rare occasions for backup to the primary Skywarn on two meters,  but I don't think it should be necessary.  A good, solid mobile is the most important thing.  Maybe you can skip the 440 and spend a little more on a high-quality two-meter mobile antenna or a hand-anemometer for accurate wind-speed readings.
KB9TRQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2001, 02:32:11 AM »

dual band is a great investment

try 605tq for home
or the blue face moblie ken wood it worth the money

440 is a major backbone in Indiana an part of the midwest

kb9trq

www.nwjcra.org
73's
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print