Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with installing mobile ham station featuring  (Read 598 times)
WU3U

Ignore
« on: August 06, 2001, 11:16:54 PM »

I just bought a brand new Toyota Tacoma Pick up truck and I am planning to install my Yaesu Ft100D, and a High Sierra HS1500 in it.

I am planning to outfit the truck with three power sources:  A 2.5 kilowatt generator mounted in the truck's bed which includes a battery charger; two 120 amp hour deep cycle batteries, and the vehicle's 12 volt system.  There will also be a 13.8 volt DC power supply to power the radio using 120 AC from the generator.  The idea is to have a power source for any situation, generator failure, or waht have you.

I will describe the physical layout of the set up.  The Generator will be mounted in the pick-up's bed;
the the deep cycle batteries and the 13.8 volt supply will be housed in an aluminum tool box just behind the cab that is grounded to the vehcile's frame.  The antenna will mount to the tool boxe's flat exterior wall facing the rear of the bed.  The Transceiver will be mounted behind the driver's seat in the cab.

I plan to mount two switches in the box on a heavy plexigass panel: The switches are the type normally used in marine battery applications and commonly called "A-B" switches" and are intended to switch between differerent lead acid batteries.  One switch, an "A-B-C" switch, will switch power from three sources:
direct from the generator through the 13.8 volt DC supply, the vehicle's 12 volt system, and one of two deep cycle batteries.  These batteries can be charged by the generator when not in use.  The two deep cycle batteries will be switched by an A-B switch of the the
type, using either battery A or B, and the battery not chosen can be charged by the generator's charging system as the switch will isolate it out of the rest of the circuit.

Any thoughts, caustions, etc?  Has anyone done something similar?  This set up will be more typical of a communication's van that might be used by races.
i was hoping some Ham had done something similar and would like to have input.

Tim
N8LXR
KL7IPV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2001, 01:10:24 AM »

Well, Tim I think you are involved in "overkill". The radio uses 12VDC and you have three sources planned. I would run the power leads for the radio to just one source that you will have charged all the time and  forget about all the switches to change over the radio to different power sources. Remember that each piece of equipment you place in the circuit also gives another source of trouble later on. Maybe it would be best to use the deep cycle cells for the radio and then the generator can be used to keep them charged all the time. You can run a separate charging circuit to the deep cells from the engine if you want to keep it charged while driving. They sell isolator circuits for that purpose in RV shops ( Camping World is one ) and keeps you from discharging the primary vehicle battery while you use the deep cycle cells while parked. The rule: KISS fits this situation. The simpler, the better for this application. Good luck
Frank
KL7IPV
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: