Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2 meter mobile question(s)  (Read 735 times)
HAM2BE

Ignore
« on: March 27, 2001, 02:17:27 PM »

Hi all,
       I have a 2000 Dodge Dakota 4wd, and want to use a 5/8 2 meter whip.  I know that the best place to mount it is on the roof, but here is the kicker:

I have to park in a parking deck several times a week, and the clearance is only 7'3".  I have a magnet mount base, but taking it on and off is going to get old.  My question is this:  how much would I lose if I mounted (welded?) a plate to the center of the front of the truck bed, along the lip at the top of the bed, and used the magnet mount there?  I know I would be sending rf into the cab, but it is an extended cab, (no passengers in the back seat) and the antenna is mated to an HT with 7 watts max on 13.8 VDC.  (No money for a mobile rig yet)  

My other thought was to mount (weld?) a plate in one corner or the other at the front of the bed, and stick the magnet there....any help would be appreciated.

Tim
KG4MQD
KL7IPV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2001, 12:42:00 AM »

I did the same thing for my full size Dodge 2500 PU. It worked great. You can also buy a plumbing floor flange and a short piece of threaded pipe. Put them together and place the short length of pipe in one of the stake holes in the side of the PU bed rails. Then put the mag mount on the now upside down flange. That will work also. Just tighten the pipe so it doesn't rattle as you drive.
Frank
KL7IPV
N3IVK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2001, 12:18:13 AM »

A company in FL make this cool pickup bed mount, check it out.
I haven't bought one....yet, but it looks tempting.

http://www.geotool.com/antmount.htm
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: