Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: All Antenna's created equal?  (Read 479 times)
KC0CWQ

Ignore
« on: October 02, 2001, 12:43:11 AM »

I just got my tech. License.  I have a Yaesu FT-2500 rig in a 92 beretta GT.  I am wondering what type of 2 meter antenna I should get?  I am looking 5/8 wave 2meter and 70cm band antenna on ebay with a tunk lid mount.  It is a center loaded antenna.  Would this be a good antenna or should I look else ware?  If so where do u reccamend I find a good antenna.  Thanks,
~Daniel Fields

P.S. heres the URL to the antenna i'm looking at http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1280944213
KC8AXJ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2001, 11:51:28 PM »

I have two 2500's there're a GREAT rig !!

I.M.H.O.
If you plan on getting a duel band radio some day a duel band antenna would be O.K. but if not, I can't see how these antennas can perform better than a single band antenna. With its height and being loaded I question the gain claims.
"Buy it now $24.95".........can't be much for 25 bucks !
Magnetic base looks quite small if you drive fast Ha !
Why don't they say what BRAND it is or is it just NO NAME??
Sorry to be so critical but :

I have a NMO mag mount Larson 5/8 wave with the optional spring (about 52 inchs of (Black) "element")
I live in Upper Michigan and winters are from Nov.-Apr.
They love to use Salt, other times of the year I'm down a lot of dusty backroads and in the woods.I'm a equipment salesmen.
I've been a Ham for 6 years in Aug. This antenna has been on a Explorer, Tahoe and now a Durango, it has 240,000 miles on it and I have NEVER had it come off
nor have I ever had to re-tune or anything.
You get what you pay for and this all will run about $80.
If you don't care about the sping deal, Radio Shack has a nice 5/8 wave with a good mount for about $32 I think.

If you would like to have the numbers for this Larson set up, e-mail me I'd be glad to forward the info to you.
You're doing the right thing buy asking around before you pull your wallet out.
Also, 1/4 wave antennas are pretty and much like little handheld radios........... when you get way out there and realy need them, their pretty and much useless !

73 !
Steve kc8axj@arrl.net

KC8AXJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2001, 11:57:18 PM »

I can't believe I forgot !!!    [8-/

CONGRATULATIONS WELCOME TO AMATEUR RADIO !!!!!!

Also I was wrong on the mount there I see it's a trunk lip mount

Have Fun !
Steve

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: