Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ignition noise in 2000 Jeep Wrangler  (Read 1257 times)
AL7EK

Ignore
« on: August 06, 2001, 05:31:33 PM »

I just finished installing my TS-50 in my 2000 Wrangler.  Getting a lot if ignition noise via the antenna.  It is not coming in via the power leads which are run directly to the battery.  Anyone have any idea how to clean up the ignition on this thing.  Don't even see any spark plug wires.  The plugs appear to be resistor plugs, at least they start with an R in the part number.

Help!!!

This is ruining my plans for happy hammin!

Clark
KG9CW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2001, 08:24:05 AM »

hello clark:
at this time i am trying to eliminate noise in my 1991
chevy van. i have installed a mfj9440x ssb transciever
and hope to be a happy mobile ham also. here are some of the things i have done. my noise problem appeared to be mainly coming in from the antenna , but when i installed a noise filter from radio shack to eliminate the alternator whine, a great amount of ignition noise disappeared too. i don't know why, but if it works use it. so, you may want to try this filter. the next step was to plug in a set of earphones on a long cord and try ground strapping various parts of the vehicle, while listening to the results on the earphones. the exhaust system seemed to be a bad rf radiator, and grounding it helped. one of the biggest offenders was the coax cable from my 2 meter mag mount antenna. i was running both coax cables side by side and because the antenna is capacitively grounded to the frame, the two coax shields running along side each other were really not at the same rf ground potential. running cables away from each other reduced the noise considerabley. i am continuing to add ground straps in hopes of elliminating all the noise. i'm not sure this is possible but i will continue to try. at this time i have a s1 noise level with the engine at idle. however it does increase to s3 when driving. i don't know why but if you or anyone else can help me i would appreciate it. oh, one more thing. i did replace all all ignition wires and distributor cap before any other searching, and i did start with a s5 to s7 noise level, so progress has been made.
hope this will help you clark.
73 bob kg9cw
KG9CW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2001, 08:50:44 AM »

hello clark:
after looking at some of the other noise problems listed here, i may have come across the answer to one of my problems and maybe yours also. i said that the noise level increased when i was driving at higher speeds. could it be the fuel pump that is now producing the noise? maybe...and one fellow solved his problem by putting a .01mfd cap across the fuel pump power leads. i will try that when i get time and let you know of the resuts.
73 bob kb9cw

KG9CW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2001, 08:23:01 AM »

hello clark:
no, the fuel pump in my vehicle is not causing any noise problem. the remaining noise i hear is ignition noise. guess i will have to do more strapping and shielding.
bob kg9cw
K4ZM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2001, 12:20:22 PM »

I don't know if anyone has suggested it to you or not but I was able to solve a wicked ignition noise in my car by grounding the tail pipe at the very end.  I drilled a whole through it and installed a bolt and used coax shield form it to both sides of the fender well and it dropped my ignition noise from 20db over S9 to about an S3.  It seems that the tail pipe is insulated from the frame by rubber hangers and so it is a real good antenna itself.  Good Luck & 73
Jim Younce K4ZM
KG9CW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2001, 07:36:33 AM »

hello jim:
tnx for the info. i have grounded the tailpipe about 18 inches from the end using half inch braided strap and a stainless steel hose clamp. it made a considerable difference in the noise level as you have already noted. however, grounding it at the end as you have done may help reduce the noise even more. i will try that. thanks again for the help.
73 bob kg9cw
N2YPH

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2001, 12:14:14 PM »

In general, thanks for all the tips...  I'll investigate the tailpipe issue myself.

To the original poster:  I hope to hear what worked for you...  I own a 1993 Dodge Spirit (i.e. another Chrysler) which has HORRENDOUS ignition noise that is RPM-dependent on 2 meters (also in the FM broadcast band, but it's FAR worse on 2M.)

The noise is worst inside the passenger cabin.  Not so bad with an external antenna (yeah, for a while I just had my HT inside the car, since the local repeater was rarely >1/4 mile away.).

It's not noisy power, as it even happened when the radio was running from batteries...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: