Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2 meter, 1/4 wave, roof mount antenna?  (Read 1981 times)
N4ZYV

Ignore
« on: September 08, 2001, 09:24:57 PM »

What I wanted was a 1/4 wave 2 meter roof mount antenna.
 The local (150 miles) ham store tried to sell me a roof mount with no connector on the coax! What good will that do me? The store owner says that they come with the connector loose in the bag so you can feed the coax around the inside of the vehicle to the radio. Sounds logical to me. I don't need to worry about that in my truck, but I do need to worry about being able to connect the antenna to the radio. Kinda important. A bit of coax with no connector on it does me no good.
 Then he shows me a mount I can use. It is a roof mount AND it has the connector on the coax! Amazing that an antenna manufacturer would actually think to attach the connector! Engineers!
 But wait! This manufacturer doesn't make a 1/4 wave antenna to fit this mount! Love it!
 So, now I have a roof mount that I can actually connect to my radio but I have an antenna thats twice as tall as I wanted (5/8 wave).
 Only in Amerika.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2001, 04:28:34 PM »

You didn't say what brand that antenna is (the 5/8-wave with the connector installed), but in most cases, the 5/8-wave whip can be changed to a 1/4-wave easily.

Most mobile whips come without the connector pre-installed because it's much easier to pull coaxial cable through a space only large enough for the cable, and then cut the cable to the proper length and install the connector, than it is trying to pull the connector through tight spaces.  It's logical, and what's the big deal?  Another benefit: How can the manufacturer possibly know what is the "right length" of coax for your mobile installation?  They usually provide about 17 feet, which is too much for anything except a stretch limousine, and you will be best off routing the cable to your rig and cutting off all excess cable there, prior to installing the connector.  Makes for a tidier -- and lower-loss -- installation.  Now's the perfect time for you to learn how to install a coaxial connector.

You'll be a better person for it.  Once experienced, it takes all of 60 seconds to install any kind of coax connector.

73 de Steve WB2WIK/6
N4ZYV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2001, 07:59:54 PM »

Well, obviously, I'm on drugs...or maybe I'm just a no-code Tech...
 It just doesn't seem like such a far-fetched idea to want an antenna I can just hook right up to my radio.
 Apparently it is though.
  Yes, I understand why the connector comes loose in the bag like that. I just figured it would be possible to buy such a simple antenna with the connector already on it.
 I know how to solder connectors, pal. Done it plenty over the years. I just no longer have a solder gun large enough to do it properly. So I figured, just buy an antenna with the connector already on it? Not in 21st century Amerika.
 I'm such a trouble maker.
KL7IPV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2001, 10:42:10 PM »

Okay, you didn't like Steve's answer. Here's one: Go to Radio Shack and buy the outdoor scanner antenna, part number 20-176. It will work well on 2 meters and 440 with low power without any modification to it. It will accept a PL-259 connector so now you can buy a length of coax you need with the connectors already attached. But I have to admit your response to Steve threw me. I didn't detect any comment he made that should have illicited the kind of response you made. If you don't want comments that might assume your are new to the hobby and asking for help, next time maybe giving more info would help. Good luck with the antenna.
Frank
KL7IPV

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2001, 11:53:25 PM »

Calm down, take a deep breath and relax !

Now, if you want a ready made antenna plug/play
just buy a cushcraft mag mount, already with
the coax and connector mated.

We are all here for the same reasons, we enjoy
radio !

73 clay
N4ZYV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2001, 11:21:48 PM »

Nope, no mag mounts here.
 You will all be happy to hear that I broke down and bought a bigger soldering iron so now I can solder all the connectors you guys could ever want me to!
 Hope the antenna manufacturers don't intend on having me extrude the whips next.
 And I was so happy as an appliance operator.
W7DJM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2001, 06:39:46 PM »

I'd REALLY like to see someone line up 100 good, qualified, technicians, and show me half of them that can install coax connectors RELIABLY,EVERY TIME, in 60 seconds or less.  maybe crimp ons.   Certainly not pl259's-and when dealing with the dreaded bushing.  I don't think so.  And it's not because I'm from Idaho, or because I'm white, either, Steve.

As far as the problem, here, I've come to prefer to stick with "industry standard"   NMO style mounts--in the commercial industry, there is a good variety of antennas that will fit these, including 1/4 wave, and certainly dual band or single band loaded whips, for 6,2,440, commercial, cell, whatever.  You just screw them on.

Don't know what to  tell you about the coax connector.  There are always crimp on's.   Depending on who makes them, some work pretty well.  I like them better than the original PL 259 with bushings.
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2001, 03:07:44 AM »

doing rg-8x I got good at it..fan the shield out and solder it to the end of the bushing ( i think its caled a pl 176 or something) and then trim off the excess "beard flush.. screw the connector on to the bushing, not the bushing into the connector.. works well, no hassel good ground then solder the tip..73  tom N6AJR
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2001, 03:07:45 AM »

doing rg-8x I got good at it..fan the shield out and solder it to the end of the bushing ( i think its caled a pl 176 or something) and then trim off the excess "beard flush.. screw the connector on to the bushing, not the bushing into the connector.. works well, no hassel good ground then solder the tip..73  tom N6AJR
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: