Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HTX-10 tranceiver as base station: antenna tuner?  (Read 760 times)
KC7PGU

Ignore
« on: November 02, 2001, 01:01:12 PM »

Just getting into HF, and bought a Radio Shack 10m mobile tranceiver the other day.  I wasn't sure about installing it in a vehicle or using it as a base station, but now I'm sure it's going to be the latter.  I'm going to try various antenna setups--indoors upstairs with a Cliffdweller slinky, outdoors maybe with a Hamstick dipole that I can quickly stick up and take down on a PVC mast (usual homeowner's assoc. restrictions in force) maybe try something in the attic (provided I can figure out how to get the coax down to someplace I can set up the radio.)
So--my question is--can anyone suggest an inexpensive tuner/SWR meter for this radio, which puts out 25 watts?  The ones I've seen either look like the minimum power setting is too high--30 watts--or they're very expensive.  I see a few used Pyramid SWR-14's in online CB shops for about $20.
Any ideas?
Thanks--
Wes
KC7PGU
KC7PGU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2001, 01:27:35 PM »

Oops...I should have noticed that the Pyramid unit I mention above is only a meter, not a tuner..
Wes
KC7PGU
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2001, 06:57:20 PM »

Save your money.

There's zero reason for a tuner when you have a monoband 10m rig, as any antenna for 10m can be tuned for a perfect match to coaxial cable, by adjusting the antenna rather than a tuner.

A tuner would be desirbable if you had a multiband HF rig and antenna restrictions, so you could do tricks like using a 10m antenna on 40m, etc.  When your rig covers only one band, and that band requires only a 16 foot antenna for a resonant half-wave dipole, it's silly to be thinking about tuners.

73, Steve WB2WIK/6
KC7PGU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2001, 07:59:58 PM »

W5SO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2001, 06:05:25 PM »

Make a half-square antenna and hang it on the side of your house.  Use 20 gauge wire and no one will see it.   Tie a small nut or insulator on the bottom of the legs to get them to hang straight. Cut the quarter wave legs to 28.5 Mhz and the top feeder to be double the legs.  Feed with coax, tune the entire band and have some gain over dipole as you will have two quarter wave verticals in phase.  A couple of places sell ready made ones.  Maybe you can learn more from these:
http://www.angelfire.com/md/k3ky/page39.html
http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/hypower/webdoc7.html

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: