Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SRS (airbag) computer in Acura 3.2 TL  (Read 432 times)
WC1J

Ignore
« on: November 23, 2001, 10:51:00 PM »

Just put an 706MKIIG with Comet all band antenna in
'02 TL with nav system.  Seemed to transmit on 10m bands and above with no problems.  Tried on 20m and
nav system display dimmed and noise from somewhere in
bowels of car heard.

Also, I noticed the SRS indicator (indicating a problem
with the restraint system) on.  Anybody have any ideas?
Sure hate to get hit with $1000+ for a fried computer...

WC1J
N2HBX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2001, 10:02:32 PM »

Hi there!

First question: how do you have the power connected?  A good solid connection to the battery and a solid vehicle ground is a MUST!
Next: check the ground from your antenna mount to the vehicle.  Make sure the antenna mount and your radio ground are at the same potential.  Don't depend on your coax to complete the ground for the mount.
Third: tune the antenna CAREFULLY!  I had a similar problem on 20 with a Kenwood TS-130S in my service van (a 2000 Chevy Express).  Before I did a very careful retuning job on my antenna (a Hustler mast with resonators), I had a very impressive array of flashing lights on my dashboard when I transmitted on 20.  

Give these suggestions a try.  As you say, computer replacements are expensive! (So are airbags...personal experience!).

73, Larry, N2HBX
WC1J

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2001, 12:02:07 AM »

Larry,

Thx for your comments. I've got the radio connected directlto the battery.  Also, I have the radio chassis grounded directed to the auto chassis.

I need to work on making sure the antenna is well grounded.

I may have just tripped the SRS warning light without damaging the computer.  I'll have to bring it in on Monday and find out...

Bill
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: