Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icom IC-2800H vs. Kenwood TM-V7A , Opinions Wanted  (Read 3577 times)
KB1FWH

Ignore
« on: November 25, 2000, 10:12:34 PM »

Hi,
I just got back into Ham Radio and am looking for a dual band mobile rig. I already bought the antenna am getting ready to drill the hole in my van.
I am trying to decide between the Kenwood TM-V7A and the Icom IC-2800H. I welcome all opinions on the above radios, especially anyone that has experience with both.
When it comes to price the Icom is more expensive, but if you want to remote the Kenwood you need the remote kit and a speaker. By the time your done with the accessories the Kenwood is more expensive. I'm not crazy about the large control head with the Icom, the Kenwood control head looks more praticle. But the Icom control head has a nice speaker built in and eliminates the need for a seperate external speaker.

I have never owned any Kenwood products and have had good luck with Icom Handie Talkies.

Needless to say I'm on the fence here and having a tough time making a decision.
KG4DED

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2000, 08:12:35 PM »

I have had the TM-V7A for about a year. I bought it because it seemed to have everything I wanted in a radio and Kenwood has a good reputation. Well I am disappointed to say the least. To start with the manual is a total loss. It wouldn't even make good toilet paper. The display is very hard to see in daylight conditions and it has at least one "birdie" at 146.805 MHz. This is apparently a common problem with this model and there is not much that can be done about it. Mine was "fixed" but it still is questionable. I would not recommend this radio to anyone.
Go check out the products review section of eHam.  I am not the only person that has bad thoughts about this radio.  They are not kidding when it comes to the display being hard to see when your are mobile either.
WA2AEH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2000, 11:28:49 PM »

I own an ICOM-2800H and I think it is probably one of the best dual band mobile rigs around.  The display is just the right size and since it is in color and has numerous display types with contrast and brightness, it is visible in full sunlight.  I don't think it can be beat.  As to the Kenwood, a fellow ham friend has one and the display is too small to read, especially if you need or wear glasses.  In summary, the ICOM is the winner in the display wars.

Bill
WA2AEH
W4KSR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2001, 04:45:02 PM »

Forget the TM-V7A, if you use it mobile. As soon as the sun hits the display, you won't be able to see where you are! The sun totally obliterates the display.
WB6WKB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2001, 10:07:47 PM »

I don't have the Icom but I've had my V7A for nearly 3 years. I don't have trouble with it in the sun, because it's not in the sun at all! I mounted the remote head on the visor. Fold it up and it's out of the way. Since it's right in front of you, it's easy to see and you won't have to take your eyes off the road much.

Only bad thing I can say for the V7A: polarized sunglasses make the display useless. Go to a ham store and see for yourself.

KD5MAW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2001, 06:33:03 PM »

I'm using my 2800H as a base rig and like it. Before you total up the bills on these two radios, however, you may want to consider where you'll be mounting the 2800H in your vehicle. It comes with a dinky standard 3 ft mic cord, which plugs into the radio unit, NOT the control head as does the V7A. Unless you mount the Icom somewhere very close to your driving position, you'll need to buy one of the extended length mic cords (~ 8' or 16' as I recall). FWIW.
KC5SOU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2001, 01:50:52 AM »

I have owned a Kenwood TM-V7A for about 6 months now and I wouldn't have anything else.  I used to drive a truck cross country and never had a problem with the display (everyone's different though).  Also the truck I drove had limited space, but that was not a problem with the Kenwood either.  The Kenwood also has a feature that makes it easy in case you misplace the manual.  It has one built into the memory.  Besides, if your like me, I toss the manual aside because I'm ready to play with the new toy.  Anyway, I havn't tried or seen the Icom, but Kenwood sold me on this one.  I'll be a Kenwood customer from now on!
N6JSX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2001, 07:40:59 PM »

I've been running my V7A in my car for well over 3 yrs. It is the WORST radio I ever bought in regards to daylight display visability - it really sucks! You cannot where sun glasses and see the display. You can barely see the display in bright sun light. At nite you must adjust down your brightenss or it is to bright and bothers your night vision! The cool blue - stinks..... It would be ideal for a base setup....

The two radio parts work great; the dual radio setup is really nice - I leave one on 146.520 and the other I tune around, put on repeaters, or put in scan mode. I built the PC interface and got the free software - it works well but the software could use some user friendly help....

Overall the radio operates VERY well the multi-teared function buttons can get tricky - if the radio had a different display it would be a great radio but as it is it is a looser for mobile operations.

Someday Kwood might even get smart and put an auto dimming photo sensor on the radio to help maintain user display levels. It would be also great if they put an ambient noise sensor on the radio that would (after 3-5 seconds averaging) maintain the relative volume and self adjust if you open the window or turn on the stereo.... but these items are to radical....
73, Kuby, N6JSX /8

N6JSX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2001, 07:51:18 PM »

I just saw the mic connection issue - I run mobile with the head mounted on teh dash. The MIC does NOT plug into the head it plugs into the radio. You will need to buy TWO cables to do remote head operations. One for the head and the other for the MIC!!!

If Kwood was smart on this issue they would have followed the IC-706 that can plug in EITHER places. I run an IC-706 in the car and it is the BEST display I've ever seen for mobile operations - sunglasses, bright bright winter snow sun, or night time the display is easy to see. The mounting/cable system is well thought out too! I just might upgrade to a IC-706MKII and pull the V7A out.
Kuby

ASTEFFES

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2002, 01:34:28 AM »

My friend has a TM-D700A with the mic mounted remotely.  He used simple Category 5 ethernet patch cable and a coupler to extend the microphone cable.  Total cost to extend the mic: about $10.
  -Adam
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: