Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HAS ANYONE EVER DONE A 5 BAND WAS AS A MOBILE OPER  (Read 423 times)
MORSENUT

Ignore
« on: December 26, 2001, 01:31:11 AM »

This is Tim, N8LXR, in Springfield, PA.

In the past 8 weeks, I have made great progress toward achieving what I believe may be a First in Amateur Radio:  5 Band Worked All States as a mobile operator, consistent with WAS rules stating that all contacts must be made no further than 50 miles apart to count toward the award.

Has anyone ever done this before?  Or do you know anyone who has?  The ARRL does not recognize "Mobile WAS" officially, so I have no way of knowing aside from asking other hams.

Most of the contacts I have made were done while operating on a high hill just outside my condo complex in Springfield, (Delaware County) Pa, the rest from a great spot along the Delaware River in Philadelphia, Pa, where I have a second home, about 10 miles NE of Springfield.  All contacts were made using CW at 100 Watts output to a High Sierra HS 1500 Screwdriver Antenna, Rig is a Yaesu FT 100D.

How am I doing?   Here is my band/state count as of 12/26/01:

ALL CONTACTS FROM EITHER SPRINGFIED OR
       PHILADELPHIA, PA, ALL MOBILE, ALL CW

80 METERS = 36 STATES (INCLUDING CA, WA, AZ, NM, MS)
40 METERS = 45 STATES (INCLUDING ALASKA)
20 METERS = 47 STATES (INCLUDING HAWAII AND ALASKA)
15 METERS = 33 STATES (SEVERAL RARE: DE, ID, MT)
10 METERS = 45 STATES (HAWAII, DE, MS)

Most of these have been made in just the last 8 weeks as of 12/26/01.

I am planning a series of skeds with stations in Hawaii and Alaska for 80 and 40 meters. I am also very much in need of QSOs with Rhode Island, which has proven more elusive than either KL7 or KH6!   If you are in Alaska, Hawaii, or Rhode Island, are active on HF CW and willing to have a sked, please E Mail me at:
MORSENUT@AOL.COM.

Again, if you or anyone you know has ever done a Five Band WAS as a mobile consistent with WAS Rules, please let me know.

Working for this award has been a lot of fun...many thanks to the many operators who have been willing to sked and "Band Hop" with me!

73 to all and a Happy New Year!

Tim
N8LXR
Springfield and Philadelphia, PA

K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2002, 11:28:07 AM »

If my memory serves me correctly, Don Wallace, W6AM (SK) completed 5 band WAS number 1. I think he was close to 5 band DXCC as well, and may have actually completed it before his death. He worked over 325 countries mobile, making my 299 seem paltry. He actually helped me get a few hard ones by asking stations to standby for me. Incidentally, his tactic was to work DX from the base, and ask the stations to listen for him in 10 minutes. He'd then go out to his car in the driveway and call them. One last comment or two; most of Don's contact were CW. And, he ran about 500 watts out to a rather large base-loaded whip.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: