Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: looking for help installing a mobile in a 2001 BMW  (Read 386 times)
KG4PES

Ignore
« on: September 12, 2001, 11:11:22 AM »

As I lease the vehicle I am not interested in drilling, cutting or any majorly permanent installation.  Any one done this in a 325i, and have some hints?  Anyone know good hideaway antennas that are not mag mount?  i saw one from Diamond that mounts in the trunck and folds away, any experience with this?

Thanks
adam
KG4PES
KG6IYD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2002, 07:46:53 PM »

I have a 2001 330i and I am looking into almost the same thing.  I want to install a mobile HF rig with a hamstick or similar antenna with a tuner.  To further complicate things I want a 144/440 dual band antenna as well.

I too am on a lease, so no drilling or permanent damage.

We should conference for ideas... the 325i and the 330i are exactly the same from a body perspective.

I've decided to mount my rig in the trunk and run a remote control head to the cockpit.  This makes things easier for three reasons:
a) The battery is right there.  No firewall problems.
b) An antenna can go lots of places from the trunk... magmount on the trunk lid, trunk lip mount, or license plate mount.
c) There's a great spot to ground stuff at the top (or ceiling) of the trunk... a big metal panel with holes in it.  What more could you want?

The best place for the rig appears to be right above the battery.  There's a recessed area there that's large enough for a rig and a tuner.  This keeps the cargo area clear.  The problem with mounting the rig there is there's no clear-cut way (that I've found as yet) to secure a metal box there.  You can't put it in the plastic cubby hole because the rig will likely melt the plastic once it warms up.

One thing I've been thinking about is removing that grey detail work that goes all the way around the trunk area to see what sort of mounting possibilities there are behind it.  I want to determine the replacement cost of it first, though... worst that can happen is I have to replace it.

If all else fails I may design some sort of wood enclosure that will attach to the spare-wheel cover.

Now to the control head... the wiring itself can run the cheap easy way, which is right between the seats in the back, down the center drivetrain hump, beside the driver's seat, and into the storage area below the climate control (which I don't have because I've got the digital map).  I will probably mount it where the ashtray is with velcro.

A more elegant solution is to run the cabling around the rear seats, under the plastic floor paneling to the steering underside.  Then route it around the steering column to the center console.

Anyway, that's as far as I've gotten.  Haven't bought anything yet for fear of not being able to mount it!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: