Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ATAS installation on a ICOM 706MKIIG  (Read 2004 times)
KG4PXJ

Ignore
« on: November 07, 2001, 04:41:10 PM »

Can anyone tell me how to hook up an ATAS 100 antenna to a 706 and have band tuning capability like with a Yaesu FT100D?  Or something close?
Tks
W4WLZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2001, 07:30:23 PM »

The ATAS 100 is designed specifically for the Yaesu FT 100/100D as you already know. You are much better off with the "High Sierra" Screwdreiver antenna than the ATAS 100 there are several companies that make it autotune and the power restriction of the ATAS is 100 watts and the High Sierra is 1000 watts works just like the Yaesu but higher power and the auto tune can be gotten from an outside source. I have an Yaesu Ft 100D/ATAS100 antenna radio combination, I am selling it now after 5 months mobile, great radio hot reciever and very flexable, more so than the Icom but I want to run power amplifier. I am asking $1000.00 for the rig/antenna brackest and cables/ mounting bracket.. If you are interested send me an email,, 73  ,, Joe
KB0LUR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2001, 12:12:44 AM »

AmCom sells such a device.  http://www.amcominc.com
KR4JA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2001, 11:59:03 AM »

Amcominc.com now sells an ASAC (Automatic Screwdriver Antenna Controller) which is made to "plug & play" with the IC706 and most screwdriver antennas (I prefer the Stealth II by Hi-Q Antennas after looking at the specs, but the ASAC will work with other screwdrivers too).  I'll be installing my ASAC this weekend, but I know of 3 other hams who have the ASAC, and it works!  What could be more simple, just dial the frequency on the radio, push the tune button and the screwdriver motor moves to the lowest SWR point.  The ASAC will also handle 1000 watts according to the specs.

73s

Dave
Norcross, GA
W5AX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2001, 10:01:10 AM »

I use the ATAS100 with my Icom 706MKIIG. I built a homebrew coupler designed by a ham in California. It has worked great for me for several months now. If you want additional info contact me at W5AX@arrl.net
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2002, 10:03:34 AM »

I'm running a 706 with an ATAS and am extremely pleased with the setup.  Perhaps not as efficient as a High Sierra or other better Q antenna, but I've worked my share of mobile HF with it.  Pictures are on my website.

Yes, Amcomm does sell a control box for about $75 but all it is is an 8V regulator, a switch, a coil and a capacitor.  $10 at any Radio Shack.  When you put 8V on the center pin of the antenna coax the antenna goes one way, when you put 12V it goes the other.  Controlling the antenna through the coax is nice because you don't have to route a separate wire to the antenna.  Aside from not being seamless operation with the 706 they do work well together.

Mark K5LXP
http://www.qsl.net/k5lxp
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: