Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good NMO mount 2m/440 antenna?  (Read 1238 times)
K7IHC

Ignore
« on: January 28, 2002, 02:14:56 AM »

I'd like to move up to a dual-band mobile rig soon, and would like recommendations on a good NMO mount dual-band antenna.  The car's a '98 Honda Accord, and it looks like the trunk lid is the best area for the mount.  I've also heard that MFJ antennas aren't of very good quality. Any comments/suggestions?
WPQX931

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2002, 11:06:56 AM »

I personally like the Larsen product line.  Relative cheap and good.  comes with a wide choice of gain/length. and they are available pretty much anywhere.

NMO2/70B(utility gain, 18")
NMOQ2/70 (5/8wave, 4dBVHF, 2.4dB, UHF)
NMO2/70SH (Spring base)
NMO2/70C (2.4dBVHF, 4dB UHF)

Goto Larsen's website and check out their catalog and see what it looks like.  so it all depends on how much gain on which band you want, they got it covered pretty well.  It also give you an idea where you should mount the antenna.

are you drilling a hole in your trunk or gettin one of those trunklip mount?

Alex
KB3HLP
N2HBX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2002, 10:37:37 AM »

I've had very good luck with a dual band antenna manufactured by Maxrad.

Check with your local two-way radio dealers or the Maxrad website.

Antenex sells a similar antenna and might be a little less expensive. I've used some of their other antennas for other bands and found their performance good as well.

73, Larry, N2HBX
K7IHC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2002, 12:13:11 AM »

Thanks for the responses.  I bought an ICOM 2100H 2m xcvr, so all I have a need for currently is a 2m antenna.  I ordered a Larsen NMO (3/4" hole) mount and a 1/4 wave whip.  For where I'll be using the rig, the wide radiation pattern of the 1/4 wave should be good.  I'm going to mount the NMO in the center of the roof.  With the NMO, I'll be able to install other types of antennas if necessary.
AB0RE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2002, 11:48:41 PM »

If you ever decide to go with a 5/8 wave (or a different antenna), I can also vouch for the quality of the MaxRad antennas.  The MHB-5800 is about $30 and is of very high quality.  It has a chrome and polymer housing that takes the weather very well.  It is all one piece - some other models such as the Larsons have a nut that screws onto the base to hold the whip in place... just another thing to go wrong with the antenna.  The antenna also has 2 whip set screws instead of just one like many other brands do.  It's relatively wide-banded and can be tuned flat as a pancake for 2M.  All in all it's a very reliable antenna that performs well and is built to last.  

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: