Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RS HTX-245 2m70cm HTWhat kind of Trunk Lip mount a  (Read 847 times)
KG4RQP

Ignore
« on: March 04, 2002, 02:18:41 AM »

I need some recommendations on what kind of trunk lip mount dual band antenna to purchase for my 1.5W Radio Shack HTX-245 dual bander.  Does anybody have any experience with this radio and any trunk lip mount dual band antennas such as Diamond or Comet?  Thanks !!!
K7IHC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2002, 03:17:31 AM »

Is there a reason you don't want to drill a hole for an NMO mount on the trunk lid?  I just drilled and mounted a Larsen NMO on the trunk lid of my '98 Honda Accord.  Much better than a trunk lip mount, as the co-ax doesn't get squished.  The Larsen 2/70 NMO antenna has a good rep.  
KG4RQP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2002, 04:04:26 AM »

Arguably that would be the best installation, however, I don't want to permanently mar the car.  Trunk mount at least allows me to remove the antenna with no lasting effects on the car.  Therefore the trunk mount...

Thanks for the response, though :>)

Lee, KG4RQP
K0RFI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2002, 07:22:23 PM »

A magnet mount nmo would also work well, provided your trunk lid is metal, also, several mfg's make a no-holes trunk mount that wraps around the edge of the lid and uses set screws to hold it in place, and the coax is ran in a groove inside the mount so it doesn't get squished.  I don't know the Larsen #, but the Antennex # is TM8PS
73, mike k0rfi
WPQX931

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2002, 11:52:29 PM »

every antenna company makes somekind of trunklip mount.  They all work pretty well.  you should stay with a utility gain antenna instead of a high gain, since most 5/8 wave antenna will need plenty of groundplanes, and mounting an antenna at the edge of a trunk will in effect give you 1/2 of the groundplane and hence making your antenna less sensitive in 1/2 of the direction.  and a 1/4 wave utility gain antenna is less dependent on groundplane.  

I would also recommend a no-ground antenna in order to solve this problem.  Check Larsen's website, it will give you a good tour of what you can do and expect.

Also,  a turnk lip mount will "mar" your car also.  just that the mar will be smaller. same with mag mount.and cause rust years latter.

Alex

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: