Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mobile 2m/440 and APRS antenna solution  (Read 1206 times)
KB1HAG

Ignore
« on: March 05, 2002, 12:30:54 PM »

I currently have an ICOM-207H in my SUV running a Larsen glass mount dual band antenna.  This works great and I have no complaints. Yes, I have a 3db loss because of the glass mount but I can't notice it.

I recently discovered APRS, being new to the hobby, and have started to piece together a setup for my SUV. Which includes a Garmin II+ GPS receiver and a MFJ-8621 setup for APRS.

My question is... can I use the Larsen antenna for tx'n the APRS packets along side the ICOM-207H on 2m/440?

In theory a simple duplexer between the two rigs would protect them from each others transmit power.  But, since the two rigs are both on 2m's would this cause problems?  Would this setup work if I only used the ICOM-207H on 440?  

If this setup won't work can you suggest anything else?  The easiest solution would be to just throw up another 2m antenna.  But, I have to deal with parking garages on a daily basis that only clear the roof of my SUV by 2 inches so I would like to keep just the one.

Thanks for the help, I am still learning!!

KB1HAG
Jeff
N2HBX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2002, 11:10:50 AM »

Unfortunately, mixing 2 TX signals on the same band is neither easy or inexpensive. The Kenwood D700 mobile will do it (for about $700).

If clearance is the problem, I would suggest mounting a trunk lip mount on the hood of the SUV and using a separate antenna. Try to keep it on the opposite side of the vehicle from the dual bander to minimize interference. Assuming your area has a decent APRS digi system, having the antenna mounted relatively low like that shouldn't cause a problem.

Another alternative...check Antenex.com. They produce an antenna called the "Phantom". This is a low profile antenna that should work well on a mag mount on the roof and be within your clearance tolerances. You should be able to get one of these antennas through your local commercial two-way radio shop.

73, Larry, N2HBX
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: