Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Available/Favorite Mobile 10M? Recommendations?  (Read 784 times)
BLACKCAT

Ignore
« on: February 25, 2002, 05:03:34 PM »

Hey Guys,

Uncle Sam decided to give me some money back this year, so I'm looking to pick a new mobile 10 meter radio.  I'm familiar with the Ranger 2950/2970 family from my CB days (and the whole shady export radio market), but I'm really looking for a "step up" from that.

Are there any alternatives out there I should be looking into from Kenwood, Yaesu, iCom, etc?  I visited all of their web sites and didn't find much for the 10m band.  I was kind of suprised....

Or *IS* Ranger the best deal for 10m?

A side question I'd have for you is, given your choice, would you take a 2970 w/ the 100 w PEP output.. or a 2950 and pick up an external linear for the price difference?  

The reason I ask is that I have a job where I switch cars often and I'd like to stay with a setup that I can just plug into the cigarette lighter... not sure if I that is even an option w/ the 2970..?  but the extra power would be nice to have when I need it.

Appreciate any input!!
KC0HBM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2002, 05:25:06 PM »

Well, I dont do any 10M mobile work yet but I can tell you that the cigarette lighter plan is probably not going to work.  100W is most likely going to be more current draw than a factory installed plug can handle.  The "nicer" of radios you get the more you need to worry about RFI and noise from your engine, so your best bet will be direct power leads from the battery (fused on both polarities).

If it were me, I'd take the single unit.  Seems like less to have to mess with getting set up, as well as less space for an install.

One more thing, you still should be able to do your quick vehicle-switch as long as you wire both vehicles with a good power connection and the same plug.

I hope this helps a bit,

Mark
KC0HBM
KL7IPV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2002, 04:22:09 PM »

You can use Anderson "power-pole" connectors to allow you to switch the radio from power supply to power supply without the need to worry about polarity. My 2000 Dodge Neon has a fused power output like a cigar lighter and it is marked 12VDC 20Amp. If you have one like that it will work for your radio. Most cars are now puting an outlet in the cars for use with a laptop. Check the ratings and it may work for you too. Also go to eBay auction and look under "search. Type in "Titan 10 meter radio" and then search. They look good but I have NOT tried them. They also make a handheld 10 meter that works all modes and I see them sell for around $130 or so. Also look here: http://www.bills2way.com/equip/10meter.html
Good luck.
Frank
KL7IPV
KC8AHN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2002, 08:41:33 PM »

I honestly suggest you get yourself a full function HF rig which would have 10M in it, unless of course you are looking to do the trip to use the 11M. About the same price (I have seen a few anyways). I am not an HF expert by no means so maybe I am way off base.
Steve
Kc8ahn
N8EMR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2002, 11:32:23 AM »

Well, A bit more but a better solution is to pick up a real ham radio. The radio's are export CB.

An icom 706, ft100, ts-50 or dx-70. This way you get 10m, 6M and 2 and or 440 in some cases.
You can replace a dualband radio and your 10m rig with one radio.
The rangers are almost $400 so your not that far off from a used 706 and almost 1/2 way to a new 706mkiiG
N3CJN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2002, 04:50:57 PM »

The market for 10m only rigs with the licensed ham community must not be attractive to the big ham gear manufacturers, 'cause they don't offer them.

I've only used the Uniden HR-2600 and the RS HTX-10 as
10m mobiles.  The former is in the class of the Ranger.
The latter is probably made by "Titan", one of those
CB manufacturers.  Neither of those qualifies as a step up from the Rangers.

Having said that, I currently use the HTX-10 mobile with a cigarette lighter plug, a slide mount and a
helical whip on the trunk deck.  I bought mine for $129
new.  I've had lots of fun with it, working Europe, Japan, Australia, Central and South America from my car.

It's only a 25w rig (like the Ranger 2950DX), but that
lets me get away with using the lighter plug.

HTX-10 pros:

- cheap (not affraid to leave it in the car at all times)
- good signal and audio reports
- smallish
- simple controls for mobile use

cons:
- must twiddle clarifier knob for best SSB reception
- not super rugged
- NB is so-so
- no DTCSS tone for repeaters
- no CW xmit

Others have suggested going with a multiband rig.  If you're looking to spend $500 or more, I'd give that serious thought.  10m isn't always open, after all.
I own a IC-706 mkIIg, but it's never been mobile.

Some possibilities include
Alinco  DX-70TD (from Radio Shack for $599.99)
Kenwood TS-50S (currently $665 from gigaparts)
Alinco DX-70TH (currently about $750)
Yaesu FT-100D (currently $819 from gigaparts)
Icom IC-706MkIIG (currently about $899)

Check the reviews of each here on eham for any of these
you're considering.

Last year, friends bought '706s new at Dayton for less than $800.  With deals like that out there, I'd pass on spending $400 on the Ranger 2970DX that'll only give you 10m... but that's just my 2 cents.

N3CJN
PHINEAS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2002, 03:35:28 PM »

If you just have to have a single mode 10 meter rig, I would go with the 2950dx. There are a lot of HAMS that will tell you to get an Icom, or Alinco, but from my experience, these radios are an antenna nightmare for a mobile. I still use my 2950dx, and its a fine radio. Another radio I would recommend is the Magnum 257. The Magnum is $200 new, and puts out a little more than the Ranger does, but the 2950dx gives you 2 bands instead of one. Also, I would recommend getting a 102' whip, or a large coil CB antenna. before I modified it, I could talk in the lower part of 10 meters before I did anything to it. Because of the large conductor, its very broad banded. With a cheap CB tuner, you can get to 12 meter band very easily.

If you choose to go with one of the all mode rigs, I would recomend the same setup, excpt I would get an MFJ945e tuner. With the same antenna(Workman SP3000), I could tune 6,10,12,15, and 20 NP. Could not quite get 17 without adjustment.

By the way, I do agree with the other posts on one point. I had a choice between 3 radios for my mobile.

1. Icom 718 - $475
2. Kenwood TS50S - $550
3. ICOM 706 - $600 (Older model with 6m + 2m)

All of these also have 100watts PEP built in.

My 2950Dx cost me $350 new with tax. That is only a $125 dollar difference. The 2970dx is about the same price as the used 718. That is something to consider when you buy a dedicated radio. Now, it may be worth it if you go with the HTX10 or the Magnum257 which are under $200 new, but past that you are getting into multimode HF.

One more downside about going with an HF rig in a mobile is the antenna nightmare. Sure you will get more radio, but that mobile setup will hit you hard in the pocket if you are not careful!!!! With a 10 meter radio, you can use any modified cheap CB antenna.

Hope this helps

Phineas
KC0LSC

N4VNV

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2002, 09:47:50 AM »

I've been using cigarette lighter plug power connections for nineteen years with no problems, as long as you follow these guidelines. Run your 100 watts on SSB, no problem. But on AM/FM keep power output down to fifty watts if you make fairly short transmissions. If you are longwinded, keep the AM/FM power output even lower.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: