Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: corrosion on larsen nmo 2/70c  (Read 1072 times)
KC2DLA

Ignore
« on: February 27, 2002, 11:05:35 AM »

I have had this antenna roof mounted since October and now that it has been through the winter season it looks greenish.  It actually has a lime-like corrosive powder caked on the whip.  A quick washing seems to remove it all.  Some isopropyl alcohol gets it looking new and shiny, but in two weeks it looks the same!  The antenna always performs flawlessy, so it is merely a cosmetic annoyance.  Whats going on?

Paul KC2DLA
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2002, 01:09:51 PM »

Unless you buy the black vinyl-coated whips Larsen offers as an option, the "metal" whips are all silver-plated, copperclad steel in construction.  The outermost surface that you see, and that also does the radiating, is silver plated.  It definitely oxidizes rapidly and can turn any number of colors.  

WB2WIK/6
KC2DLA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2002, 11:57:59 PM »

Thanks for the reply, I should have read the specs. on it a little better.  Since it is silver, I guess I can clean it like anything else that is silver.
I also have an NMO mount 5/8 wave for two meters.  That larsen is all black and doesn't suffer the same way.  
N4MJG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2002, 06:04:22 PM »

i have the same problem like you did except mine is black. i clean my right up it look good as new !
73's
JACKIE
KG4ORX
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: