Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A mobile radio that actually fits?!?  (Read 420 times)
N1XRR

Ignore
« on: March 20, 2002, 01:10:17 PM »

Hey everyone, I've been reading around lately about ICOM's new V8000 radio.  Have my wish's been answered?  Really, 75w is nice, and so is the weather scan and everything, but what I'm REALLY looking for is a radio that will fit in my DIN radio mount in my car.  I have an RX-7, and all of our cars came with "double-DIN" mounts, basically two DIN mounts stacked.  I have replaced my head-unit a LONG time ago, and have this big empty space below it which I need to fill.  For those of you who don't know, DIN is 6"x2" exactly.  And Icom's new radio comes VERY close...withen 1/16th of an in all around.  I would like to know, has anyone tried this?  Or is this new radio just too new for anyone to have tried this yet?

-Michael, N1XRR
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2002, 05:49:38 PM »

That's a very new rig, and I have not used one yet; however, I'm real familiar with DIN bays for automobile dashmount equipment and I'd be careful with the V8000...it's a 75W output radio that dissipates more than 75W of heat when transmitting.  That's a lot of calories to burn with very little space to cool it, if you wedge it into a DIN bay.

Even if you completely open the back end of the bay so it's wide open space and nothing but air, where would the air come from to cool the rig (the inlet air, since the fan on the rear of the Icom is an exhaust fan)?  The fan needs to pull air from somewhere.  If the rig's as large as the bay, it will be starved for an air inlet to provide fresh air for the fan to exhaust.  That could lead to premature transmitter failure, probably not covered under warranty.

Of course, if you ran the same rig in the 5W low-power position all the time, this probably would not be an issue.

WB2WIK/6
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: