Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2002 Ext Cab Silverado wire routing  (Read 818 times)
JB

Ignore
« on: April 12, 2002, 02:17:39 PM »

Does anyone have experience with where to run wire to the battery and for a magnetic mount antenna for this model?

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,
John
WE8Q

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2002, 09:26:19 AM »

I have a 2000 Silverado extended cab pickup and run HF and VHF mobile.  For power, I ran from the 12V takeoff point under the hood through the firewall where the main cable harness for the truck goes through.  There is a large rubber gromet there and it is an easy job to push my 12V wires through there.  For HF I use a screwdriver mounted to a plate that I attached to the trailer hitch frame with U bolts on the rear of the truck.  Coax runs under the bed through a hole that I drilled under the back seat.  VHF antenna is a 5/8 wave mag mount on the center of the roof.  Coax runs down the large rubber grommet that runs along the door jamb of the back door on the passenger side.  Never had any problem with the coax getting smashed.  
73, Steve - K8FFO
KK7SY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2002, 06:18:13 PM »

I have just bought this model of P/U also.  I drilled a 1/2" hole through the fire wall just to the outboard side of the brake booster.  There is a fairly large area with nothing in the way. There is some insulation but I pulled that out of the way, ran the wires and then put it back.  I put a rubber groument in the hole and ran the wires through.  I use both HF and vhf/uhf rigs.

For the antenna coax I used the two vents that are on the back side of the cab between it and the bed.  From inside the cab I could just get my hand behind the insulation with the cable and push it through the vents.  Once outside I ran the cable under the bed to the ant. mounts.  You could just run the cable up the back of the cab and use a mag mount on the roof if thats what you want to do.  So far I'm using stake hole mounts for my antennas but I'm not having too much luck with those, so will problably change to some thing else.  

I tryed a mag mount on the edge of the bed but becouse the bed rail is not flat it moved around to much.  

Feel free to email me if you would like further information or any ideas you would like to share.  

Love the truck.

Blaine AC7GC
JB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2002, 09:37:07 PM »

Blaine,

Thank you thank you!!!

I just checked my email and read your post.  I live in NH where it's now pitch black outside, but still had to run out with a flash light to investigate your suggestion.  I had been eyeballing those things between the cab and the bed, couldn't figure out what they were or how to get to them.  This will be perfect for the antenna path.  Heck for that matter why not run power that way as well?

I hated the idea of having to drill through a $30K vehicle.  I'm not sure if you want hear what I found after you have already drilled.  I used the emergency break cable access hole.  It's on the highest point above the driver side fender.  Pulled back the grommet, fished my power wires through and used wire caulk to seal it back up.

Thanks again
JB
KB1ICL
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: