Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: soon-to-be-licensed looking for a good HT....help  (Read 491 times)
BISH

Ignore
« on: March 28, 2002, 10:50:05 AM »

Hello everyone,
I plan to get my license next month. I have been checking out the various HTs on the market and would like to get some recommendations from experienced folks on certain models that you've had luck with. I would like one with 2m/70cm bands, wide-spectrum scanning ability, and long battery life.

Once I get into it, I plan on getting a dualband mobile unit for my truck, but that's down the road.

Please help me by shedding some light on what I should be looking for. I hope to see yall on the air soon.

Regards,
David Jarrell
ICQ 775579
AIM JarrellD
MSN speckledpig@hotmail.com
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2002, 02:26:17 PM »

David, if you live within commuting distance of a ham radio equipment dealer, and there are dealers in almost every state, I'd recommend you visit one and look at some of the available models up close.

It would also pay to join a local amateur radio club (there's always one nearby), attend some meetings, and ask the membership what kind of HT's they have and are satisfied with.  The acceptability of any dual-band HT is very subject to local conditions, and you didn't tell us where you are.  In the middle of Montana, an HT might work great that would just work horribly in the middle of New York City, for technical reasons that are too complex to discuss here.

WB2WIK/6
BISH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2002, 09:32:18 AM »

I'm in Alabama, on the Gulf Coast. There is an amateur radio club here in town and I have attended a few meetings. I was just asking to get a wider range of opinions.

Thanks,
David
K7IHC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2002, 12:57:28 PM »

I would look closely at the Kenwood TH-G71A.  Even though most of the ham VHF/UHF equipment doesn't compare in quality to commercial land-mobile radio equipment (I use a Bendix/King VHF H/T for 2m ops), most of the Kenwood stuff seems to be ok.  You can still use an external antenna w/ an H/T, which will propagate your signal better than the stock rubber antenna.
WA4KC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2002, 10:09:34 PM »

I would like to add, consider buying a used radio. If you are like most people including myself you will not keep your first radio long. I have already been through 3 HT's and 2 mobile units. I now have a 2 meter mobile and a multi-band rig and for now am happy. To answer your question with a little more detail, I like the Kenwood products and there are a few around here using the Yaesu VX-5R with very good results. Like the previous posters said it really depends upon your location. I am 4 miles from the repeater and I have to stand outside using 5 watts. A different ham here is at least 15 miles away and he uses miliwatts from his living room. I guess it is just luck. Go to your local candy store and try before you buy. Most places will let you try it out for a little while before you buy because they depend on the repeat business.
73, Phillip WA4KC
KG4OXP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2002, 08:55:26 AM »

I have been very happy with my 2 Kenwood TH-G71A's...good reviews here. Not so happy with ICOM's W-32A...

Pete
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: