Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu FT-90R Any heat related problems for a mobil  (Read 461 times)
VK2

Ignore
« on: December 07, 2001, 11:46:23 PM »

Can someone who owns a Yaesu FT-90R please provide me with some much needed information!!!

I am planning to purchase one of these radios (which will be my first radio) due to its size, RX range, appearance and power output, not to mention its price.  This radio sits nicely in the car!

After reading some reviews regarding this radio, it seems as though when transmitting on high power, the radio heats up and negatively affects the reciever, and squelch. Is this a common problem with these radios? And if so, how fast does this radio take to heat up? Also, can this problem be overcome, ie. by perhaps placing the radio in a well ventilated position? Or is it possible to replace the fan, with a faster working fan?

I would appreciate any advice from anyone who heavily uses this radio, and perhaps even from someone in Australia! Thank you all!

...Scott
KD7GMN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2001, 05:09:13 PM »

Nothing but heat problems. Mine went into the shop three times before the warranty expired because it would drift on rx and tx after 10 minutes - heat!
Stay away -->
K2MIT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2002, 11:43:54 AM »

I had no problems, but I had the unit out and about, not tucked under the dash.  I also ran medium power.

It got hot.  I sold it to a friend of mine who put it in his trunk, and its somewhat covered and he is having problems.

Its very small.  There is no escaping thermodynamics.

I bought a FT-7100M.  Its not much bigger (box wise) but the head is about twice as large.  Its still a reasonably small head and the radio works great.  No problems.  Plus the cost is now lower than the FT-90R.

--Jeffrey, K2MIT
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: