Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Building a 2m mobile antenna from scratch.  (Read 507 times)
KD7EVS

Ignore
« on: April 25, 2002, 05:14:17 PM »

I'm looking for a summer project for my pick-up.  I want to build a 2m antenna.

I would like to build either a 1/2 or 5/8 wave vertical with ground radials. I plan to mount it (somehow) in one of the post holes in the walls of the pick-up's bed.

It's a ford ranger by the way..

I want something that'll get the ground plane about as high as the cab, but I'll be mounting it back at one of the farthest back post holes at the tailgate.  (got too much stuff on the cab to mount there, flashing lights etc...)

I'm up for just about any degree of dificulty, as I've got three months.   any online sites? or any personal projects you could tell me about?   also I could use some parts bought, like the vertical and build everything else or some combination like that.  But also I'm a college kid so cheap is good.

Zeb Palmer
KD7EVS
http://www.zebthepilot.com
N8EMR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2002, 11:24:14 AM »

Unless its the building part your more interested in. Why not just spend a few bucks and put a 5/8 on the roof of the vehicle with a NMO mount and have a good groundplane.

You have a good chunk of metal around the body for a ground plane, not much need to add radials to a mobile antenna unless your on a vet or other non-metal vehicle.
KD7EVS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2002, 02:48:37 PM »

ohk, so several people have replied to my post. but a few have failed to see the fact that I CAN NOT PUT IT ON THE ROOF OF MY TRUCK. I HAVE STUFF UP THERE. ANTENNAS AND FLASHING LIGHTS. SO I NEED TO BUILD OR BUY (CHEAP) AN ANTENNA THAT I COULD MOUNT AT THE REAR OF MY TRUCK (also to get it far away from electrical interference of flashing lights)  

BUT thanks for all the post and e-mails that have suggested that I put it in the center of the cab of my truck. I thought of that.... with all my other antennas.

so as stated I need an antenna to go at the back of my pickup.  

the most intriguing post has been the suggestion to mount a Hustler CG144.    I'm trying to figure out how to mount it, and find one somewhere for fairly cheap.

however someone suggested a coaxial verical... and I hadn't thought of that, I may actually have one laying around somewhere in my garage.   but still I would like to keep thinking (outloud) about this project.

zeb
KD5OAU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2002, 10:33:33 PM »

The optimum place to put the antenna is the roof, but it could be placed anywhere on the truck. 5/8 wave will give you the best performance (just my oppinion) a Larson antenna  is  probably the the best bang for your buck $25-40. My wife has hers on the tool box in the bed of her truck (mag mount) works like a champ. as for the interferance from the light on the roof there shoulden't be much of a problem with that as most fire trucks and ambulance's have there antennas mounted infront of or just behind the light bars and recieve no interferance.

I hope this was of some help

73 KD5OAU
James (fyrmedic@hotmail.com)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: