Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IC 207H Help  (Read 388 times)
KG4RQK

Ignore
« on: February 28, 2002, 03:13:13 PM »

Hello,

I am a new ham and am installing my first mobile rig which I just bought.  It is an Icom IC-207H.  I know I need to pass it through the power cable of the car but I know very little about this.  

I own a 1996 chevy lumina sedan and need to run this thing to power.  Does anyone have any ideas on where to run it that can give me steps.  I am a reasonably technically inclined person but this is a little over my head.  

Thanks in advance,
73 Victoria KG4RQK
K5LDL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2002, 02:12:39 AM »

Good question!

On your car, pop the hood and look over by the passenger's side and look to see if there isn't a hole or two or several that may be sealed over with a black rubber cap.  There is your access point to the interior of the car.  You can run your power cables by using the tip of a very sharp and pointed knife to make a small slice through the rubber and push your wires through.  At this point the carpet or vinyl floor covering of the floorboard may be your next hurdle.  If there is no type of hole looking access point, you may consider the access point Chevy used to run its mass of wires.... yep, over by the steering column.  There's at least one or two places over there as well.  If you use this access point, you may run the risk of picking up noise from the car's wiring.  If by chance you have a commercial radio installation shop in your town, ask one of the techs for advice.  Another place to ask is your local fire or police department.  Ask them where they have their radios and gear installed.  Head on over there and ask their advice.  And yet one more place to seek counsel is you local car stereo/car alarm installation shop.  They'll have more than a few hints as to how to route wire in just about any car.  Good luck with your installation!

Luis KD5KJD
WF6O

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2002, 10:31:44 PM »

I agree with what Luis said, but there is one more place to look. Look under the floor pan for an oval shaped "knockout" hole. That's another possiblity for running the power cable. And, run the power cable directly to the battery. If you hook it up somewhere else, you may fry whatever else is hooked up to that power source.

Rick, WF6O
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: