Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which External Speaker??  (Read 454 times)
KD5CZM

Ignore
« on: April 06, 2002, 07:02:58 PM »

Okay, I finally went and done it: I just ordered a Yaesu FT-1500M 2m mobile rig and from what I've read in the product reviews at eham.net, I'm getting ready to plug in an external speaker to improve the audio output when installed in my '85 Suburban.
I don't want to shell out $46 for Yaesu's mobile speaker.  I do have MFJ's ClearTone external speaker (8 ohms) and Rat Shack's reliable standby, also 8 ohms.

If the External Speaker jack of the Yaesu rig is 4 ohms output how do I 'retrofit' either of the above speakers to match it?  

Your emails always appreciated.

73 de KD5CZM
N5PHW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2002, 07:40:48 PM »

That's an easy one. Just plug either one in and enjoy.
WF6O

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2002, 10:16:25 PM »

If you really want it to sound really, really good (and with ear-splitting volume) get yourself down to RadioShack and pick up one of their AMPLIFIED extension speakers. Your XYL will hate you for it, but you will be able to hear anything! Even when there's a fire truck sitting outside the drivers door.
For HF, I run a ClearSpeech speaker on my FT-100. Works great!

KD5CZM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2002, 10:35:11 PM »

Okay guys!

Thanks for the input and here's what I did.

I plugged in the old RatShack extension speaker and the output was just fine.  The big 5.7L V8 engine runs quietly but even so puts out a sizable amount of growl at highway speeds.  I've cranked the Air Conditioning to high and the audio from the Yaesu/RatShack combo is acceptable.

My brother in law is studying electronics at a nearby college and said the 8ohm speaker connected to the rig's 4ohm mismatch is nominal.  Imagine the quality of the sound if it were a true match.  My fears of the sound coming out as pinched and tinny were unfounded.  

73 de KD5CZM
Joe
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: