Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Two Meter Rig in Subaru Forester  (Read 507 times)
KG4PRN

Ignore
« on: January 30, 2002, 10:27:46 AM »

Has anyone had experience installing VHF/UHF rigs in a Subaru Forester.  I'm toying with the idea of putting a 2-meter in mine and am curious to know other's experiences with running the power and antenna lines and noise problems, if any.

Thanks in Advance,

Mark
KG4PRN
WPQX931

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2002, 10:44:23 AM »

I haven't install any radio in a Forester, but I can give you some basic installation tips

1st I think you have a slot under the radio where the Equalize would normally go?  That a good spot to put a small 2m rig.  then if you have an automatic, then you should have a hole in the firewall where the clutch cable/lever would normall pass, where you can feed your power.

The forester has a nice big roof.  if you don't mind drilling/punching a nice NMO antenna should go up there,

Install a relay if you want to switch the acc. power,

You shouldn't have any problem with noise if you do a clean install.

Alex
N2JLL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2002, 11:46:53 AM »

Hi-

The Forester is a great car; I'm probably going to get one soon.  Would you let me know what you installed vis a vis radios and antennae, and how it's all working.  

Thanks much,

Josh, N2JLL
AA1ZH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2002, 07:36:19 PM »

I have an Icom 2800H installed in my 1999 Subaru Forester.  I had the radio and antenna professionally installed (I am not a handy guy).

The radio is under the passenger seat.  The control head is on a mount, which is attached on the passenger side of the middle hump.  The mount lets me tilt the control head up/down and left/right.  In practice, I almost never need to adjust it.

I can take and provide pictures if there's any interest.
N2JLL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2002, 10:09:54 PM »

That would be great if you could send along some pix, especially of antenna wire are power cable routing.  My fiancee, Deb, KD5QED just got a Forester and I'll be putting in her Icom 2100H pretty soon.

I just got an Outback, and I'm trolling for ideas on how to install on that particular vehicle!

Thanks, 73!

Josh, N2JLL
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: