Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Weld stainless steel mount to steel bumper  (Read 379 times)
KC7MM

Ignore
« on: March 25, 2002, 11:33:50 PM »

Does anyone have experience welding a stainless steel antenna mount to a steel bumper?  I bought a new Tarheel Model 100 antenna and the two piece SS mounting system.  I have a steel 2' X 4" painted bumper on the back of my truck. I think the best way to mount the antenna is by welding the SS mount directly to the bumper (after scraping off the necessary paint).  I have no experience with SS parts.  Can anyone tell me if a welding rod is available to do this?

Thanks in advance.

Dale KC7MM
KB9YNB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2002, 09:37:42 AM »

Actually, I think the best solution would be to drill and bolt on the mount.  The bolts(assuming you use the proper size) will be more than strong enough to hold your antenna, and you'll have the flexibility of changing mounts or removing the mount for repair and maintenance.  There's no need for this mount to be as permanent as welding would make it.  If you're worried about bolts and nuts loosening as time goes one, use ESNA's or Loc-tite.

KB9YNB
KC7MM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2002, 10:39:13 AM »

I have thought of that also.  The base mount plate is approximately 3" wide by 6" long (I'm at work and don't have it in front of me).  Robert has two rows of holes (think there are four holes/row) drilled in the plate.  My steel bumper is a heavy duty rectangular 2"X4" steel pipe with end covers welded on.  These end covers unfortunately are cut at an angle.  

I would like to drill vertically down through the bumper, but because of the angled end covers, can only get two bolts, very closely spaced together, through the bumper.  

Another idea would be to find someone to weld a short vertical stainless steel plate under one of the rows of holes.  I could then drill an additional two horizontal holes through my bumper and have the mount bolted both vertically and horizontally.  But see, then I am welding something again.  Why not just weld the dang mount directly on??

I work in an office full of engineers.  guess I'm used to overengineering things, hi hi.

Thanks,  Dale KC7MM
KB0ETC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2002, 07:27:20 PM »

I didn't want to destroy my $75 S/S Tarheel mount.  I had a local welding shop make me a bracket to come off the frame (using existing bolt holes) to extent the S/S mount out from the body.  I is no more than about a 1/4" peice of flat steel, about 8" long with the same bolt pattern as the Tarheel mount.  I use Grade 5 bolts, and nuts.  

Grounded to the frame with mount, and additionally with a short peice of braid running to the frame.

$75 is expennsive for a peice of metal!  I have less than $25 in the extension plate and hardware for the mount.

73's
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: