Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Research for a Book  (Read 339 times)
VNGRD

Ignore
« on: April 22, 2002, 12:01:37 PM »

Greetings to all.  First, full disclosure - I am not a licensed ham operator nor do I ever intend to operate a ham radio station.  I am writing in hopes of obtaining technical and practical information that will enable me to write a story that is both entertaining and plausible.  If you like Tom Clancy's novels, as I do, you might agree that one of his great strengths as a writer is his ability to make arcane subjects understandable to the masses.  Whether he is writing about nuclear submarines or the clandestine operations of national intelligence agencies, I finish his books feeling like I have learned considerable information about otherwise arcane subjects.  That is my goal in writing the book I am currently working on.  

Briefly, my story depends on my ability to describe one man's rebellion against "the system."  In this case, he is a common man who is increasingly infuriated by the commentary he hears on a nationally syndicated radio program each morning during his communte to work.  When he reaches his breaking point, he decides that he will broadcast his own commentary within the confines of a very limitted geographical area (maybe 5-7 square miles).  Thus, by "stepping on" the signal of the local station that carries the nationally syndicated program, this character is able to get his message across to the commuters who travel several heavily traveled commuter arteries in a major metropolitan area.  So as to avoid the authorities, this character builds a man portable system that will allow him to broadcast his 5-10 minute segments from just about any location (for instance, he might draw his power from the outside outlet of any random home or business, which thus enables him to broadcast from the woods, or abandoned buildings, or other remote areas).  Key to his success is his ability to transmit and then scoot before the authorities locate his signal's point of origin.  

So, with that basic understanding, I am looking for someone who would be willing to correspond with me (email, letter, phone) who has the technical and practical expertise to enable me to write a believable story along this plotline.  If the scenario I have described in not even remotely plausible, I would nevertheless appreciate your input as to how I could modify my idea so as to meet the general contours of the plotline described above.  

Thanks in advance for considering this request.  I look forward to making your acquaintance and corresponding with you about this project.  

Mike
WF6O

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2002, 07:45:00 PM »

You've got an interesting scenario. I'd be glad to help with the setup.

Rick
wf6o@aol.com
VNGRD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2002, 11:17:23 AM »

Rick.  Thanks for your interest.  I will forward you some more information once I get a little smarter on the basics of broadcasting.  FYI, my email is either mikeklein61@yahoo.com or michael.klein@hqda.army.mil.  Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: