Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any VX-5RS owners plz read...  (Read 343 times)
KC8TTT

Ignore
« on: May 27, 2002, 08:24:55 PM »

I am lookin into buying a Yeasu VX-5RS and i now dont know  if I should really buy it. I am wondering exactly how big a problem the squelch and menu selections to change bands are, and If you would reccomend purchasing it... Thx
KC0MMY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2002, 10:13:11 PM »

Actually, I don't think it's that bad.  You can change the squelch fairly easily by pressing the F/W key and then pressing zero.  The squelch menu will pop up and then you can use the dial to adjust the squelch level.  Just push PTT to confirm your selection.

As far as switching between bands...that's pretty easy, too.  There's a "band" button located directly under the F/W button.  Just press that to switch between bands.  

I've found the manual (and the radio) to be more intimidating than it really is.  In other words, it's bark is worse than it's bite.  You'll get the hang of it.  

I do have a few complaints about the VX-5RS...the keypad is a little small, but hey...it's a handheld, right? Smiley  The belt clip is pretty much useless and the Speaker/mic (not included) has a "kid's toy" feel to it...But it works. Smiley  

The battery lasts awhile though!  That's always a plus!  

I would suggest getting the ADMS software, too.  You can program the radio through your comupter.  The cable is included with the software.  You have all the radio's options in front of you, you can program your favorite frequencies in the memory and more.  

Read some of the reviews here on eHam.  There's quite a few of them...more good than bad.  

Good luck!

WF0H

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2002, 05:50:15 PM »

We bought one of these for my son KC0LLG a few months ago, and the rig is delightful. I'd consider the new Vx-7 that just came out too... my only knock on this rig is that it gets really hot fast when talking on high power. A good case is probably a must.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: