Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mounting 2M/70cm antenna on SUV (Landcruiser)  (Read 1773 times)
MOBILE1

Ignore
« on: April 07, 2002, 01:49:34 PM »

I am thinking of buying a Kenwood dualband mobile for my Landcruiser.  Could anyone give me a suggestion as to how to mount an antenna?  I would like to have it higher than my head, i.e., mounting on the roof or roof rack.  But, the problem is the hight.  There is only four or five inch clearance between the roof rack and the top of the garage door.  Is there any mobile antenna with a hinge or something so that I can tilt it when I put my car in the garage?  Or, any other creative ideas would be appreciated.
N8EMR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2002, 11:01:59 AM »

You can get the motorized mount from modal. It will take an NMO or 3/4 lug. You flip a switch and your
antenna will fold down. mount that on your roof rack and your done. Mount is about $100.
MOBILE1

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2002, 01:58:57 PM »

N8EMR,

Thank you for your response.  That sounds like a good one.  Is "modal" the name of the manufacturer?  Do you by any chance have a name of the dealer or web site of the manufacturer?  I have not been able to locate the product through internet.  
N8EMR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2002, 01:49:38 PM »

Thats night the right name and I dont have my qst with me. Diamond/comet and Maldol all have the same gear. Check out http://www.rfparts.com/diamond/k601.html#9000 for the motorized mount.

MOBILE1

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2002, 02:39:37 PM »

N8EMR,

Thank you.  I got it.
KB0ETC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2002, 12:26:55 PM »

Dear Sir, I also have a Toyota SUV (RAV4).  I am running a Dual-band Kenwood rig also (D700).

It took me a lot of thoughtful researching, and resourceful planning before I came up with my solution.  I did not want to drill holes in the roof, nor have a cheesy magnet sliding around.  And also I wanted a low profile antenna.

I purchased the K400C Diamond deluxe mount, and have it on the top of my rear door, it was necessary to purchase the C110 cable extension since I have my transceiver under the drivers seat.  And my antenna is a Diamond SG7000, which is only 18.5" tall.  I chose Diamond, because I have used just about every mobile antenna throughout the years, and for quality and performance it is my preference.  Have had great success.  Good Luck.

I do not have pictures of my installation yet, if you’d like to see the products on my website, please visit http://www.qsl.net/kf4l/theshack.htm

P.S. Also check the eHam classifieds, I am selling a almost brand new Kenwood G707 dualband that I replaced 2 weeks later with the D700 for APRS.
KB0ETC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2002, 12:28:32 PM »

Also forgot to mention that the SG7000 antenna has a fold over feature, so it may give you enough room for your garage.
MOBILE1

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2002, 04:31:59 PM »

KB0ETC,

Thank you for your response.  Your information is very helpful.  One question:  Do you have it mounted on the rear "passenger" door or the rear "cargo" door?  A sales rep. from Diamond says K400 can be mounted on any angle since it can be titled in any direction.  It is hard to imagine from the 2D picture how it can moved 360 degrees.  I may want to mount on the rear cargo door.

SG7000 seems to be a good choice.  I was thinking about roof-rack mounting option as well, but since it requires grounding, using K400 seems to be better.  How have you grounded?

MOBILE1

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2002, 09:19:06 AM »

KB0ETC,

I have ordered Kenwood TM-G707A, DFK-4C (the remote faceplate mount kit), Diamond antenna SG7000A, K400C (the mount) and C110 (extention cable).  They should be delivered this week, and I hope I can finish installing them this weekend.  I will let you know how it goes.  Thank you for your suggestion.  I am hoping that I can mount the antenna the way I want to at the upper portion of the rear cargo door so that it clears the gararge door and does not touch the roof when the rear cargo door is opened.

Regards,
MOBILE1

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2002, 02:17:31 PM »

Based on Diamnod's technical rep's suggestion, I returned K400C and bought a smaller mount, K412C.  The reason is that K412C has a smaller base (2 inches) while K400C has 4 inches.  Landcruiser's rear cargo door is round towrad the top, so the 4 inch base creates a lot of gap on both ends.  With K412C, I still has some gaps at both ends, but they are neglibile.  I have been able to mount close to the hight of the roof and the base of the antenna, SG7000A.  Since the antenna is 18-inch long, K412C is fine.  Also, the antenna has fold-down feature, it clears my garage door nicely.

KB0ETC

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2002, 09:51:06 PM »

Sorry for the delay getting back to the posting.  My antenna and K400C are mounted on the top of the rear cargo door.  The K400C will do a "trunk lip" style mounting or also a vertical door such as on some rear SUV doors, or rear doors.  It provides movement on two different axis.  Glad to here everything is working well so far.  I love my setup, except I got greedy, and replaced the G707 with the D700 for APRS.

Anyways, I hope I helped on one fashion or another.  Diamond makes probably one of the best mobile antennas I have ever used, trust me I have used almost all of the - and they didn't last.

73's
MOBILE1

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2002, 01:07:10 PM »

Your informaiton helped me a lot.  Believe it or not, I still have not finish installing G707A on my Landcruiser.  Yesterday, I have found a nice spot to mount the rig and the detachable face.  All I need to do is route the power cable to the battery through the existing hall in the firewall.  With a lot of thinking and planning, I have found a way to set up the rig without drilling a single hole.  Thanks again for your help.
N1KCG

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2002, 08:44:04 AM »

Mobile1,

I also have a landcruiser and I was wanting to do a similar installation.  I have the same issues as you do (very close to garage door top).

Can you email me direct to discuss your installation?

ktjensen@yahoo.com

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: