Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Notes on an Icom 706MarkIIG  (Read 384 times)
K0BG

Ignore
« on: June 20, 2002, 11:56:44 AM »

Dick Knol, PA3DUV, has stated he used a 1 farad cap (like those available from mobile stereo shops) to smooth out the power flow to his 500 mobile amplifier. According to Dick, it works, and it should! This "trick" is also what I use to cure a problem with my Mercury Mystique. Most Ford cars use a shunt-type starter motor which draws 300 to 400 amps of inrush current. This was causing my trunk-mounted IC706 to reset. The farad cap solved the problem. In my case I fused the cap "just in case"!

If you've mounted your IC706 in the trunk as I have, you need to be aware of one other possibility. In my case, the radio is connected directly to the battery, not through any relay or the ignition switch. In hot weather, the automatic temperture-controlled fan will turn on even though the radio is in receive mode. This can run down the battery in 8 to 12 hours to the point the car won't start. And yes, it's happened to me twice!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: