Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Was it a dipole?  (Read 374 times)
KC9AIK

Ignore
« on: June 27, 2002, 10:46:50 PM »

Hi guys,
I just saw a guy, who had on his car roof (between the two parallel bars on the left and right side of the car) some wire construction, which totally looked to me like a dipole antenna. Besides he had a vertical antenna (should have been about 3' long) on his roof, so he's pretty sure a radio operator. I didn't get to hold on to him, as I was going straight and he turned left, otherwise I definatly would have asked him myself. So has anyone ever tried a construction like that? And does it work? I can't really imagine it does, just because it is not high enough. I would like to hear your comments,
73, Kilian  KC9AIK
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2002, 09:43:11 AM »

I can't speak of the one you saw, but...

Some years back, a friend of mine had a Pinto wagon with a factory luggage rack mounted on the top. We placed delron plastic insulators under the feet, and replaced the metal screws with nylon ones. This rack was resonant  just under 24 Mhz, and was tuned with an LC network to 20 meters. Although one could argue it wasn't efficient, the fact remains he worked a lot of stations with it.

Alan Applegate, KØBG

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: