Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Master mobile antenna  (Read 1439 times)
NI6Z

Ignore
« on: June 27, 2002, 11:48:04 PM »

I have aquired a "Master Mobile Antenna" at a Amateur Estate sale and could use some information about this antenna. ( design frequency coverage, & tuning)

The antenna consists of a 2 FT lower mast, An adjustable loading/tuning coil about 2-1/2" in diameter and 18" long. (there is a "slider" that rides along the inside of the coil and  allows you to change taps on the coil.)
and a top section which is 6ft long.
 Im able to get it to resonate on 20, 15 & 10M
and by changing coax lengths just above 40M as well..
Tnx es 73 Carl

K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2002, 09:36:49 AM »

MasterMobile was located on the west coast and operated from circa 1953 until 1960 or 61. besides the unit you purchased, they made a variety of single band units, ballmounts, and an "L" matching device.

Mast lengths were 2, 3, 4, and 5 feet. Their heavy duty ballmount had a built-on (in) spring and I have been using the one I have for many years with a variety of different antennas.

The antenna in question covers 75 thru 10 as I recall, but there was a 20 thru 10 listed in their catalog, and without actually seeing it, I can't say which one it is.

It was easy to spot a MasterMobile antenna as the coil ends covers were either red or yellow in color, and had clear weather covers. The coil was not attached directly to its core, but was supported by the end caps.

Coil "Q" was arount 200 to 300 depending upon model (un tapped) and somewhat less on the adjustable one due to the shorting of turns.

A mono-band unit, with ballmount, matching device and whip cost less than $40!

The reason you're having to match these antennas should be obvious due to their high Q, as they have input impedances between 20 and 30 ohms or so.

ALan Applegate, KØBG

K3MOV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2002, 03:12:38 PM »

You may be able to buy a manual at this site. Gud luck. Tom K3MOV.

http://www.hi-manuals.com/CatalogM.htm
NI6Z

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2002, 07:20:29 PM »

I located a 1961 issue of CQ magazine and therein was an ad for the Mastermobile antenna. "designed for our standard 3ft mast and 5ft whip..
3 ft of 3/8-24 all thread and 5 ft from a 102" whip later..
I now have a mobile antenna that will tune on 80 through 10 meters,  WARC bands included... the MFJ 259B also indicated satisfactory SWR on 6 & 2 meters as well. BUT VERY Sharp tuning 1 coil will take it from <2:1  to >5:1... Thanks for the help.. 73 de NI6Z Carl
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: