Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu ATAS100 VS HiQ VS Tarheel VS High Sierra  (Read 746 times)
KC9BAV

Ignore
« on: July 06, 2002, 12:53:01 PM »

Hello to all!  Anybody have any experience comparing the Yaesu ATAS100 versus the bigger screwdriver antennas such as the HiQ (Stealth), Tarheel, or High Sierra?  Any comments would be welcome! 73 Rich
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2002, 01:42:03 PM »

Forget the ATAS100. It is, in my personal opinion, the worse remote tunable HF mobile antenna made. Period! It amounts to nothing more than a dummy load on a stick!

Any of the screwdrivers you mentioned are far superior to the ATAS100.

Alan, KØBG

N8EMR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2002, 01:30:21 PM »

The atas100 is a nice little (6-40m) antenna thats great for chitchating on HF. The larger screwdrivers give you 80m coverage and a much better signal.

If height and appearance is an issue or your just a casual mobile HF user who doesnt need 80 the atas is fine. If you want to do any real HF work the atas is not for you.
WB0NRE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2002, 09:17:58 PM »

Although I cannot evaluate the larger antennas, I must say I am very pleased with my ATAS-100 driven by my FT-100D.  It is mounted within 1 inch of the roof line on the right hand edge of the lift gate on my 2000 Cherokee.  The antenna must be WELL grounded at the antenna mount.  I use a lip mount clamp affair; and once I cranked the mounting screws down to get through the paint, it worked very well.  I regularly get replies from European DX on the first call while mobile in Southern California.  The antenna tunes 6-40m without fail even on the aledgedly "difficult" 17m band.  

The major draw back is the lack of 75/80m capability.  (Yes, I do work CW from the car.)  And I do worry about hitting something solid like a tree limb and bending the lift gate on this leased vehicle.  So far I haven't found a good break-over mount.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: