Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 20 meter RFI shutting off my Icom 706mkiig  (Read 2015 times)
N6VQQ

Ignore
« on: April 25, 2002, 03:12:05 PM »

Help,
   I have a problem with my Icom706MKIIG shutting off my rig when I go to 20 meters and activate my AH-4 tuner.
   I have triple checked all grounding possible culprits, and have purchased toroid coils from MFJ per the HRO salesman.  I put 2 coils on the extension cable from the radio to the remote head, it worked for about 3 tunings, then it started dying when I hit the tuner button.
   Icom told me that the fix I did would solve the problem, but it did not!
   Anybody out there with the same problem and cure. I'm planning a cross country drive within the next month, and would like to solve the problem without sending my unit's to Icom.
    Sure appreciate your input.
                73   Ron     N6VQQ
p.s.  This only occurs on 20 meters!
N3MG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2002, 02:58:52 AM »

I had the same problem with my 706.

Easily cured the problem with (2) Amidon FT240-77 toroids.  These are large toroids that allow you to pass the separation cable connector through easily.  They are a little pricey at $8-9 each.  I wrapped about 7 turns through the toroid at each end and that cured the trouble completely.

I am not sure about what MFJ toroids you have there.  The correct ferrite material (77) is important as it determines the cut-off frequency.

You can get the Amidon toroids from CWS Bytemark.  

http://www.bytemark.com

Their service was excellent as is their tech support.

Mark
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2002, 05:41:04 PM »

Mark is correct. The ones sold by Radio Shack, and some secondary outlets are for use on computer cords. These just don't work! You can also purchase them directly from Amidon, and they do have a web site. Make sure the rig itself is well grounded too. A friend of mine had his laying in the glovebox and had the same problem until he mounted the rig correctly.

Alan, KØBG

K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2002, 05:41:05 PM »

Mark is correct. The ones sold by Radio Shack, and some secondary outlets are for use on computer cords. These just don't work! You can also purchase them directly from Amidon, and they do have a web site. Make sure the rig itself is well grounded too. A friend of mine had his laying in the glovebox and had the same problem until he mounted the rig correctly.

Alan, KØBG

K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2002, 05:41:07 PM »

Alan, KØBG

K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2002, 05:41:08 PM »

Alan, KØBG

K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2002, 05:41:10 PM »

Alan, KØBG

K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2002, 05:41:11 PM »

Alan, KØBG

K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2002, 05:41:13 PM »

Alan, KØBG

K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2002, 05:41:15 PM »

Alan, KØBG

K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2002, 05:41:17 PM »

Alan, KØBG

K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2002, 05:42:08 PM »

Alan, KØBG

K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2002, 05:42:10 PM »

Alan, KØBG

K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2002, 05:42:12 PM »

Alan, KØBG

K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2002, 05:42:13 PM »

Alan, KØBG

Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: