Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RV Mobile  (Read 436 times)
KE7OHE

Ignore
« on: August 16, 2002, 12:18:23 PM »

I have a 29 ft. Tioga RV.  It has an all fiberglass body with the exception of the small portion enclosing the cab.  This is a Class C motorhome which means a fiberglass roof over the cab also.  What do you think my best option would be for installing a 2M antenna?

Thanks.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2002, 12:44:26 PM »

A 19" (quarter-wave) whip with 3-4 wire radials cemented to the fibreglass roof.

That's what I did on the Winnebago Chief (motor home), and it worked spectacularly well.  Got out better than almost anybody on the road, due to the excellent height above other traffic.  A stainless steel whip, if it hits tree branches and such, will just spring right back, so it's hard to damage.

WB2WIK/6
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2002, 05:22:34 AM »

You didn't mention height. You won't have too much trouble staying under 13 feet most places, and if the RV isn't too tall, you could use one of the 1/2 wave loaded jobs typically used on fiberglass. Then if you add a few wires or copper tape it'll even work better.

One thing I've never understood is why RV makers don't make some sort of provisions for antennas from the factory. Just about every RVer has some sort of radio or cell phone on board.

Alan, KØBG

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: