Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for info or suggestions on mounting an HF  (Read 518 times)
KB9OPW

Ignore
« on: August 20, 2000, 06:15:57 PM »

I have a travel trailer that I want to mount an HF mobile antenna on, but I don't have a ladder which most people use. I have a few ideas on mounting to the rear bumper as they are very stout, but the problem is that I need to be above the back of the trailer to have a good SWR, but to be able to lower the antenna for traveling and to get into some of the more wooded campsights. Any ideas???
NW0LF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2000, 02:53:54 PM »

Here is a thought.  A ratcheting mount for a marine antenna can work, if it is mounted high up on the side of the body.  You will have to use copper foil to ground.  Years ago, I used one of these mounts to mount a marine radio and antenna on a van that a dealer was shipping to the Bahamas.  I adapted it to mount to the mirror bracket and it worked like a charm.  Good luck.
                                                                                  73 de Tom, K9WLF
KB9OPW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2000, 06:57:14 AM »

Thanks Tom for the info, that's probably what I'll do. 73, Mark, KB9OPW
K1ZF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2000, 07:59:06 PM »

Hi Mark...

I, like you, operate HF from my camper.  have a mariad of antennas; a outbacker Outreach, a 102" whip and a marine SSB antenna that is 22' long. I talk to whomever I want with the marine antenna, and feed it throu a SEG tuner. <It's about $100 less when ordering thru Deferner's, which is a marine wholesale house.

We live in the North East, and spend the cold months in Florida Keys. But I talk every morning with guys back here on the marine antenna. It's not cheap, but it's a lot less complacated then a scrudriver and it works!

Gene, K1ZF
KA2QFX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2001, 01:24:12 PM »

I have a Jeep Cherokee with a similar problem. My mobile antenna is bracketed under the bumper with a straight stout pole to the roof line. There, the loading coil is bracketed to the roof with a Lexan standoff. The coil and radiator screw off easily, or I can bend and tie the radiator down to the roof over the driver's door for less clearance. When not mounted, I replace the coil with a cap that's threaded 3/8-24 like the coil base to hold the mount and strut in place.  See my website for more details: www.bridgeport.edu/~msedutto
If you have any questions drop me a line.

N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2002, 08:04:53 PM »

I have a trailer also and I use a bracket bent in an upside down L shape and use a 3/8 inch adptor that takes the antenna on one end a a pl259 on the other it fits through a 1/2 inch hole with a sholder washer on the bracket.  This is screwed into the edge of the trailer (where the wood frame is under the siding) and I screw in a hustler mobile antenna stick and change the resonators to change bands, they just screw in the 3/8 in mount ( available at radio shack for about $4.50).  I take the antenna down when traveling ( can't use it in motion any ways, illegal in this state if not a fifth wheeler,) and I use the same thing for my 2 meter antennas but leave them up ( shorter).. it's cheep and it works, you can even make your own brackets or modify something to work  73  tom N6AJR
KF7IS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2002, 04:47:03 PM »

Depends a bit on the type of HF antenna.  When I used a cushcraft 5 bander I attached it to the trailer jack housing with a couple of chainlink fence clamps.  Ran a counterpoise and tuner for good measure.  Worked pretty gud.  When mobile, I had to partially break the antenna down.  Good luck.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: