Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Have a Van, Where is a good place for the Antenna  (Read 478 times)
WW5E

Ignore
« on: April 07, 2002, 10:39:21 AM »

Howdy, and thank you for reading.

I have recently received a company van versus a sedan.  I used to place my Diamond SG-7900 on the trunk lip and tilt it a little away so that it would get in the garage.  Now with the van, being quite a bit different (duh) where do van hams place their antennas?

The SG-7900 is 62 inches tall.  I also have a comet CA2x4SR at 40Inches.

Thank you,

Craig, WW5E
KL7IPV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2002, 01:50:13 AM »

I don't know what frequencies you'll use. I have had two vans (one a mini van) and mounted my Hustler masts on the driver side rear. That way I could fold the antenna over to get in parking garages and the like. I changed coils for the bands I wanted and was able to use only the mast for two meters. The strongest signals were from the driver side rear to the passenger side front, but generally good reports from all points. Good luck. I hope that helped
Frank
KL7IPV
KD3JF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2002, 08:40:57 AM »

My first ? is: Does your van fit in your garage? <g>
I am presuming your antenna are for 2 meters??? How about a magnet mount on roof of van I use this method. Do you have a mini van or full size van?
For HF operation I have used a mount bolted to real bumper and I have used a trailer hitch mount. sometimes taking the ball out and purchasing a mount that will fit the hole or using the safety chain hole and get a "BAR" mount and affixing it in the hole with bolt and nut. Then I have a 3 foot mast and then put the antenna in top of mast to get antenna above the van.
Paul, kd3jf
kd3jf@arrl.net
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2002, 09:09:36 AM »

From a technical standpoint, the ideal location is smack in the center of the roof. Anything else will compromise the performance. You'll have to judge how much you are willing to compromise performance vs. looks and not hitting things. In general, the higher and in the clear (no sourrounding metal) you can get it the better it is going to work.
KD5IVP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2002, 01:35:56 AM »

I drive a full size Dodge van.  My 2m/70cm is mounted in a permenant hole (NMO) in the roof about
where the dome light is.  My HF whip is mounted on the upper rear door henge.  This van barely makes
it in the garage with no antennas, so it happily lives outside.  Both antennas are 'hand tight' so I simply
reach up and unscrew them if I need to go in a parking garage or other low roofed place.  Takes about as
long as a mag mount to remove.  Drilling holes in your car shows great commitment to this sport ;-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: