Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2002 Chevy Trailblazer--routing a 12v power cable  (Read 523 times)
KO8S

Ignore
« on: August 09, 2002, 05:25:21 AM »

Darned if I can find a spot to get throught the firewall on my 2002 Chevy Trailblazer to route my 12vdc cable for my Icom IC-706MKIIG!  Has anyone found a spot to do so on this vehicle?  Thanks guys, de Karl, KO8S  ko8s@arrl.net
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2002, 10:11:28 AM »

I went over and looked at my neighbor's brand new one, I think a 2003. It appears to have a grommet to the left of the steering wheel grommet. It is hard to get to, and I can not see exactly where it leads to on the inside. On the big Chevies and GMC carryalls, there is one on the far right just behind the heater core. Tough location, but it appears workable.

If all else fails, drill one with great causion. Measure 5 times, drill once!

Alan, KØBG

KG9QM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2002, 01:18:56 PM »

Most vehicles have a large grommet through which the speedo cable runs.  I usually go through there without a problem.  And, it's easy to see where it is on both sides of rhte firewall!

T'would be nice if the automakers would provide an accessible passthrough, of course the way owner's manuals read, they don't seem to want anyone to connect anything anywhere for fear of frying their computers and ignition electronics.
N3QT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2002, 12:32:05 PM »

Karl:

Don't be afraid to cheat a little.  One can use the option to go to a Best Buy Stereo Intallation Center. For around $40,  they can run your cable for you.  The hardest part was the re-translation from "High Rev Tuner Speak" to "HAM Speak".

"High Rev Tuners" are likely to want to run only the hot wire (red) and connect the other wire (black) directly to the chassis.  Make sure they route both wires from the battery.  Make sure they fuse both wires.

With homage paid in regret to the homebrewers of the world, I did this on my 1999 Blazer (s10) with great results. A hole was drilled on the driver's side. I claim time shortage , not skill shortage.  I could've done it, if I had the time.

73, John DE N3QT
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: