Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Install Help Kenw Tm-G707A in 96 Jeep Grand Chero  (Read 378 times)
W7GZX

Ignore
« on: September 05, 2002, 06:31:35 PM »

I'm installing this rig in my 96 Grand Cherokee which has an engine/ transmission control module,
instrument module, body control module, airbag control module, anti lock brake module all on an interconnected computer bus.  Has anyone installed comm equip in this type vehicle.  Chrysler says to run power and coax away from vehicle wiring but the only place in this SUV there isn't any wiring is the ashtray. Does anyone have a sucessful install in this vehicle?

I'm using a magmount on the roof with a !/4 wave until I get the guts to punch a whole in the roof.  I'm just installing now and am afraid to fire up the transceiver and blow one of the many modules.
K7IHC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2002, 02:56:59 AM »

I have a '98 Honda Accord that has quite a few electronics behind the dash (airbag module, engine management, etc).  I installed a TM-G707A in the dash panel below the AM/FM/Cassette unit.  I ran a 10 AWG wire from the battery (+) terminal (fused at the battery), through the firewall and into a 20 amp noise filter unit.  The filter unit is double-grounded.  The radio power pigtail is fused and connected to the power filter.  I fixed-mounted the RG-58-fed dual-band antenna on the trunk lid.  No problems to date and good power output/low SWR on 2m and 440.  Try to route the power wire a few inches from any vehicle module components and make sure the grounds are very good. Most vehicle manufacturers these days are extra-overly cautious due to liability concerns and the amount of mission-critical electronic components in the vehicles.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: